What is Punga Racers?
One of the less intense of Rainforest Village’s attractions, Punga Racers is a body slide that has riders compete against one another across four lanes. After emerging from the underwater sea caverns, the winner receives a “watery salute” from Punga himself.
Where is Punga Racers located?
Punga Racers – height restrictions and other factors
Height requirement is 42 inches; riders must weigh under 300 pounds; has Express Pass access.
Punga Racers– what you wish you knew before you experienced it
Some of the lanes, like the orange, feature sections that are open instead of enclosed.
How scary is Punga Racers?
We rate Punga Racers three out of five sea gods in terms of fear factor.
What was Punga Racers’s opening date?
May 25, 2017
Punga Racers – OI fun facts
In Maori mythology, a punga is related to sharks, stingrays, and lizards, and it’s typically depicted as strange and, sometimes, ugly. In Waturi mythology, Punga is the “playful” son of Tangaroa, the god of the sea, and Mahuika, the goddess of fire, and is the favorite of the native children.
Punga Racers has, arguably, seen more changes more than any other ride at Volcano Bay. It originally opened as a mat slide (the mats were actually in the shape of manta rays) with a sudden drop at the end; it was altered in July 2020 to become a body slide with a run-off into its splash pool.
Furthermore, Racers was originally classified as part of the Krakatau area of Volcano Bay before Universal reorganized the map, dissipating that land altogether.
Punga Racers – photo gallery
Punga Racers – real guest reviews
Submit your review
- Bambu (quick-service) at Universal’s Volcano Bay
- Kala & Tai Nui Serpentine Body Slides at Universal’s Volcano Bay
- Kunuku Boat Bar at Universal’s Volcano Bay (limited-service bar)
- Maku Puihi Round Raft Rides at Universal’s Volcano Bay
- Ohyah & Ohno Drop Slides at Universal’s Volcano Bay
- Puka Uli Lagoon at Universal’s Volcano Bay
- Punga Racers at Universal’s Volcano Bay
- TeAwa the Fearless River at Universal’s Volcano Bay
- The Feasting Frog (quick-service) at Universal’s Volcano Bay
- Tonga and Raki of Taniwha Tubes at Universal’s Volcano Bay