On this page, you’ll find our up-to-date one-stop shop for everything that is currently happening at Universal Studios Florida, Islands of Adventure, Volcano Bay, and all of Universal Orlando Resort! (Yeah, this is a good page to bookmark.)
By the way, we’re very happy to let you know that this is just one page out of over 300 we have in our next-generation encyclopedia of obsessively-updated Universal Orlando vacation-planning info.
Live tweeting and Facebook livestreaming from Universal Orlando
We visit Universal multiple times every month to bring our fans live in-park photo and video updates direct from Universal Studios Florida, Islands of Adventure, Volcano Bay, and CityWalk! To see all of our photo updates as they happen, we invite you to follow us on Twitter.
Current Ride Closures
Universal’s Islands of Adventure
- Poseidon’s Fury
- Hogwarts Express – Hogsmeade
- Jurassic Park River Adventure: 1/10 – 1/28/22
- Dudley Do-Right’s Ripsaw Falls: 1/31 – 2/25/22
- Popeye & Bluto’s Bilge-Rat Barges: 2/25 – 3/18/22
Universal Studios Florida
- January 7, 2022 – Late Summer 2022
Revenge Of The Mummy
- Hogwarts Express – Kings Cross Station
Current promotions and resort-wide changes
New Tribute Store
Construction walls have appeared around Sahara Traders outside of Revenge of the Mummy. The signage reads “Universal Studios Monsters: A Tribute to the Creatures of the Night.” While no official word has come out yet explaining the details of the shop, we know we can’t wait to see it! The sign promises that we won’t have to wait long, as the store is “Coming Soon.”
Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure
From January 3, 2022 through at least February 28, 2022, Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure will no longer be available during Early Park Admission in Universal’s Islands of Adventure. Jurassic World VelociCoaster will still be featured in EPA, and Hagrid’s will be open during regular park hours.
Revenge of the Mummy: The Ride Closed for Maintenance
One of the most popular rides in the park, Revenge of the Mummy: The Ride is now closed for several months to get some much-needed maintenance and attention. The attraction is scheduled to re-open to guests in summer 2022.
Shrek 4-D Permanently Closed
After 18 years of entertaining guests with cheesy puns, classic jokes, and raunchy humor, Shrek 4-D officially closed its doors at the end of the day on January 9, 2022. The attraction welcomed millions of guests during its tenure, and the announcement of its closure was met with heartbreak. On January 10, 2022 construction walls were built up around the previous location of Shrek 4-D, and although no official announcement has been made, the Minion cartoons on the walls prove to be an indication of what’s to come.
Curious George Goes to Town Reopens
The popular kid-friendly area of Universal Studios Florida has reopened to the delight of guests and families with young theme-park visitors. The area features plenty of places for youngsters to play, including a ball pit and a water blaster. Guests are thrilled to see this play area return after it being closed for well over a year.
Occasionally, rides and attractions have to close for a few days for maintenance. It’s nice to know ahead of time if those closures take place during your hard-earned vacation though! Three popular water attractions in Universal’s Islands of Adventure will close during the colder months early next year. Jurassic Park River Adventure will be closed from January 10 – 28, Dudley Do-Right’s Ripsaw Falls will be closed from January 31 through February 25, and Popeye & Bluto’s Bilge-Rat Barges will be closed from February 25 through March 18.
Bend the Bao
Universal’s newest eatery, in the former CityWalk location of Fusion Bistro Sushi & Sake Bar, opened on June 15 with a crazy menu of fusion bao buns. We have the full rundown on both the OI Blog and over at the Universal Center.
Jurassic World VelociCoaster
After a years-long wait of watching construction, raptor statue installation, and ride testing, the big day finally arrived – Jurassic World VelociCoaster is officially open! You can read our full review on the blog.
Updated COVID-19 health precautions
In an attempt to keep abreast of the latest CDC guidelines – and in an effort to get a little “closer to normal” – Universal has been continually revising its health and safety precautions across its resort. For now, face masks are required for all guests in queues and indoors regardless of vaccination status.
For a thorough primer of what to expect, you can check out our visiting Universal Orlando during the pandemic guide.
Universal Orlando’s new Universal Studios Store
It’s here! On April 1, the brand-new Universal Studios Store at CityWalk opened its doors. We walk you through its beautiful new layout and aesthetics here.
The old Studios Store, meanwhile, is now the retro-focused Universal Legacy Store. You can read all about it in our new guide page.
Universal’s newest theme park, Epic Universe, is back on track! After originally being announced in August 2019, all construction was halted in July 2020 thanks to the coronavirus pandemic – but, on March 3, 2021, Universal was happy to reveal that it was starting everything back up. Although it’ll take the next several months for the process to get back to where it was at the beginning of 2020, it’s still good news – and an even better indicator of where businesses think our economy will be as we finally start to look past COVID-19.
Volcano Bay is open again! The water park was closed down from November 2, 2020 to February 27, 2021, due to the ongoing consequences of COVID-19 on the tourism industry. You can find out what (re)opening day was like right here.
Early Park Admission
The Universal Studios Florida attraction that opens up alongside The Wizarding World of Harry Potter for Early Park Admission is now Despicable Me Minion Mayhem (at previous times, it was either Revenge of the Mummy or Fast & Furious – Supercharged). Over at Islands of Adventure, The Wizarding World of Harry Potter also opens up for EPA (with the current exception of Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure). Outside of that, it’s The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man (though, when things get really busy, The Incredible Hulk Coaster and/or Doctor Doom’s Fearfall get temporarily added to the lineup, as well). Currently, Jurassic World VelociCoaster is also part of Early Park Admission.
Upcoming annual events and special celebrations
Rock the Universe 2022
The first-of-the-year Universal Orlando annual event has been announced! On January 28 and 29, guests can enjoy this Christian rock fest. Check out more on our guide page.
Universal Studios Florida
TODAY Cafe – set foot on the set where The TODAY Show is filmed and chow down on a smorgasbord of delicious food and drink options, including an exclusive coffee blend, pastries, lattes, beer and wine, and a host of other New York-inspired dishes. You can read all about it over on the OI Blog.
Annual passholders’ lounge – in November 2018, Universal unveiled a new hang-out spot exclusively for its annual passholders. You can find it in Studio Styles in the Hollywood section of Universal Studios Florida, near Schwab’s Pharmacy; here, you can purchase exclusive merchandise and drinks (such as from the Arctic Coke Cooler, which crystalizes Coca-Cola beverages), relax while your phone or tablet recharges, and take advantage of some concierge services.
Originally, Universal announced that this would be a limited-time affair, but, first, it kept pushing back the lounge’s closure date, and, now, it’s dropped such verbiage altogether – it would seem that the annual passholders’ lair is here to stay indefinitely.
The UOAP Lounge’s hours are, usually, from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm daily, though you’ll want to double-check on the day of your arrival.
The list above is only a summary of the current ride refurbishments, openings, and closings at Universal Studios Florida. For a complete list of the park’s attractions, scroll to the bottom of this page or visit the OI Universal Center table of contents.
Islands of Adventure
Jurassic World VelociCoaster – the apex predator of roller coasters has arrived! Get the complete rundown here.
Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure – find out everything there is to know about the newest Harry Potter ride over on our guide page.
Dark Arts at Hogwarts Castle – the third Wizarding World projection-mapping show (in as many years) debuted in fall 2019. Read about your walk on the dark side with Lord Voldemort and all of his loyal followers in our big article.
The list above is only a summary of the current ride refurbishments, openings, and closings at Islands of Adventure. For a complete list of the park’s attractions, scroll to the bottom of this page or visit the OI Universal Center table of contents.
Park closure – Universal’s water theme park just reopened on February 27, 2021, after a nearly-four-month-long closure. We wrote about our experiences visiting on that first day right here.
Express Pass changes – there are now two types of Express Passes that are available at Volcano Bay. The basic level covers seven rides (Krakatau Aqua Coaster, Punga Racers, Taniwha Tubes, and the two double-headers of Honu ika Moana and Maku Puihi), while the new premium version adds in four additional attractions (Ko’okiri Body Plunge, Kala & Tai Nui Serpentine Body Slides, and the double Ohyah & Ohno Drop Slides).
Pricing depends on the day (such as $50 for basic and $80 for premium, as just one example), and the passes can only be obtained in the park. For more, see our Volcano Bay tickets and Express Pass pages.
Store change-ups – Fresh Produce, an apparel shop, closed on December 23, 2019. Three others followed it in the subsequent months: The Island Clothing Co. on January 15, 2020, Fossil on February 23, and P!Q on February 25. All four made way for the new Universal Studios Store; the old venue, meanwhile, was transformed into the new Legacy Store.
Bigfire – CityWalk’s newest restaurant, which replaces Emeril’s, opened on June 26, 2019. Bigfire cooks all of its food on a giant wood-fire grill in the center of the venue, using different types of wood to bring out different smoky flavors. You can get all the details over in the OI Universal Center.
CityWalk’s movie theater – AMC Universal Cineplex 20 with IMAX shut down on Friday, September 14, 2018 and reopened just a few days afterwards as Universal Cinemark, though the process to transition/upgrade each of the theater’s 20 auditoriums continued on for the next several months. You can read more on our movie theater page.
Looking for CityWalk events? They are included in our events section near the top of the page — skip up there.
For more information about Universal CityWalk, scroll to the bottom of this page or visit the OI Universal Center table of contents.
Universal Orlando’s hotels
Endless Summer Resort – Dockside Inn and Suites – the second half of Universal’s new hotel complex was initially delayed thanks to COVID-19, but finally had its grand opening on December 15, 2020. (Just for the record, its debut was originally scheduled for March 17, 2020.) You can learn more about the eighth property at Universal Orlando here.
Endless Summer Resort – Surfside Inn and Suites – the other half of Endless Summer Resort opened on June 27, 2019. You can learn all about the hotel here.
Epic Universe, Universal’s newest theme park, was announced in August 2019, indefinitely delayed a year later (thanks to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic), and put back on track in March 2021. Find out everything there is to know about the park’s past and future over in the Universal Center
Looking for hotel events? They are included in our events section near the top of the page — skip up there.
The list above is only a summary of the current projects relating to the Loews hotels at Universal Orlando. For complete details about these properties, check out the links below or visit the OI Universal Center table of contents.
See everything else you’ve been missing
Overview and Introduction:
- Read guest reviews of Universal or submit your own
- View our daily updates
- 12-month Universal Orlando crowd calendar
- Best Day of the Week to visit Universal Orlando
- Best Time of the Year to visit Universal Orlando
- Which Universal Orlando Theme Park is Better?
- The Best Orlando Theme Parks by Age Group
- How to Save on Flights to Orlando
- How Many Days to Spend at Universal Orlando?
- Maps, Rider’s Guide, & Vacation Brochure
- Universal Orlando Annual Passes – Complete Insider’s Guide
- Accessibility Accommodations
- Universal Vacation Packages – An Insider’s Guide
- Top 10 Easiest Ways to Save Time & Money at Universal
- Ride Wait Times Based on Crowd Levels
- Universal Express Passes – Complete Insider’s Guide
- The Secret to Getting UNLIMITED Express Passes
- Universal Dining Plans – Complete Insider’s Guide
- Dining Reservations at Universal Orlando
- Parking & Universal’s Transportation Hub
- Shuttles, Taxis, & Ride Sharing – Transportation Recommendations
- Orlando Average Monthly Temperatures
- What to Pack for Your Vacation
- What’s Coming to Universal in 2021 and Beyond
These guide pages will give you the inside scoop on how to get the most out of your vacation to Universal Orlando Resort. From internet access to mobile food ordering, all your questions can be answered here. Perusing these pages now will save you countless hours later, allowing you to spend more time on what’s important – your trip!
- Visiting During COVID-19
- Shopping & Merchandise at Universal Orlando
- Ultimate Adult’s Guide to Universal Orlando Resort
- Visiting USF with Kids – Complete Insider’s Guide
- Visiting IOA with Kids – Complete Insider’s Guide
- Visiting VB with Kids – Complete Insider’s Guide
- Virtual Lines at Universal Orlando
- Single-riders’ Lines at Universal Orlando
- Mobile Ordering at Universal Orlando
- Rental & Ride Lockers at Universal
- Characters at Universal’s Theme Parks
- Child Swap at Universal’s Thrill Rides
- Men in Black – How to Max Out Your Score at 999,999
- Refillable Cups, Popcorn Buckets, & Coke Freestyle
- Free Internet Access at Universal Orlando
- Phone Charging at Universal Orlando
- My Universal Photos & Ride Photos
- 20 Ideas for Free or Inexpensive Entertainment around Orlando
- Breakfast at Universal Orlando Resort
- Grocery Delivery in Orlando
- VIP Tour Experience at Universal Orlando
- Ultimate Seating Guide to ALL the Rides
With Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade Village, Universal Orlando changed the game for what it meant to be immersed in a theme park. These guide pages will cover our best insider tips on getting the most out of your visit to the Wizarding World.
- Only Guaranteed Ways to Beat the Crowds at the Wizarding World
- How to Ensure Your Trip to the Wizarding World is a Success!
- Early Park Admission to the Wizarding World – A Complete Guide
- Return Tickets & Standby Line to Enter the Wizarding World
- Interactive Wands & Spell-Casting in the Wizarding World
- Complete Insider’s Guide to Butterbeer
- The Specialty Drinks, Meals, and Desserts of Diagon Alley
- Leaky Cauldron: The Grandest Feast a Wizard Can Have
- Three Broomsticks & Hog’s Head: Drink in the Details
- Shopping & Merchandise at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley
- Shopping & Merchandise at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Hogsmeade
There’s more to do than just rollercoasters! The following guide pages provide information on annual events at Universal Orlando Resort. Check here periodically for updates and news.
- Rock the Universe 2022
- Running Universal Orlando 2022
- Mardi Gras 2022
- Easter 2022
- Fourth of July 2022
- Halloween Horror Nights 2021 (overview & explanation)
- Thanksgiving 2021
- Holidays 2021
- New Year’s Eve 2021
We combined our years of expertise and insider experience to build the best touring plans for you so you don’t have to! Whether you’re staying one day, or all week, we’ve got you covered!
- Universal Studios & Islands of Adventure 1-day Touring Plan
- Ultimate Universal Studios 1-day Touring Plan
- Ultimate Islands of Adventure 1-day Touring Plan
- Volcano Bay Touring Plan
- 3-day Touring Plan for Hotel Guests: Day 1
- 3-day Touring Plan for Hotel Guests: Day 2
- 3-day Touring Plan for Hotel Guests: Day 3
- Wizarding World of Harry Potter Touring Plan
- Bite-Sized Touring Plans
- Design Your Own Universal Orlando Touring Plans
- OI Priority List: Universal Studios Florida
- OI Priority List: Islands of Adventure
Universal Studios boasts The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley, Men in Black, Springfield, U.S.A, and more. Use these guide pages to help plan your ultimate vacation.
- Production Central
- New York
- San Francisco
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley
- Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts
- The Hogwarts Express
- Tales of Beedle the Bard & Celestina Warbeck
- Ollivanders Wand Shop in Diagon Alley
- London waterfront
- Diagon Alley shopping
- Horizont Alley
- Carkitt Market
- Knockturn Alley
- The Leaky Cauldron (quick-service)
- Florean Fortescue’s Ice-Cream Parlour (quick-service)
- The Fountain of Fair Fortune (quick-service)
- The Hopping Pot (quick-service)
- Eternelle’s Elixir of Refreshment (quick-service)
- London taxi hut (quick-service)
- World Expo
- Springfield: Home of the Simpsons
- Woody Woodpecker’s KidZone
- Park-wide Entertainment
Islands of Adventure features lands such as Seuss Landing, Jurassic Park, and The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Hogsmeade Village. That means you can ride The Cat in the Hat, come face to face with dinosaurs, and attend Hagrid’s magical creatures lesson. These pages contain great insider tips and tricks to make sure you have a great vacation.
- Port of Entry
- Marvel Super Hero Island
- Toon Lagoon
- Skull Island: Reign of Kong
- Jurassic Park
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Hogsmeade
- Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
- Filch’s Emporium of Confiscated Goods
- Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure
- Flight of the Hippogriff
- Triwizard Spirit Rally & Frog Choir
- Ollivanders Wand Shop in Hogsmeade
- The Nighttime Lights at Hogwarts Castle
- Dark Arts at Hogwarts Castle
- The Three Broomsticks & Hog’s Head (quick-service)
- Owl Post
- The Lost Continent
- Seuss Landing
- The High in the Sky Seuss Trolley Train Ride!
- One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish
- Oh! The Stories You’ll Hear
- The Cat in the Hat
- If I Ran the Zoo
- Circus McGurkus Cafe Stoo-pendous (quick-service)
- Green Eggs and Ham Cafe (quick-service)
- Moose Juice, Goose Juice (quick-service)
- Hop on Pop Ice Cream Shop (quick-service)
- Park-wide Entertainment
The water theme park at Universal Studios, Volcano Bay takes your vacation to a whole new level of relaxation and excitement – all in the same day! Go with the flow in a raft, or climb to the top of Krakatau volcano just to slide back down again! But whatever you do – use our guide pages to plan your day at Volcano Bay and maximize your trip.
- Volcano Bay’s TapuTapu – complete guide
- Volcano Bay’s cabana rentals – complete guide
- Volcano Bay tickets – complete guide
- Visiting VB with kids – a complete guide
- Early Park Admission to Volcano Bay
- Complete Guide to Shopping at Universal’s Volcano Bay
- Wave Village
- River Village
- Rainforest Village
Universal’s Epic Universe – complete guide and history (opening expected in 2025)
Epic Universe will be Universal Orlando Resorts’ biggest park, housing three major intellectual properties: DreamWorks Animation, Illumination, and Nintendo.
These guide pages will walk you through everything you need to know about Universal City Walk and all you can find there! With formal dining options, to-go pizza, and even a tattoos parlor, you’ll find what you need (and more) at City Walk.
- Full-service restaurants
- Quick-service restaurants
- Food and beverage carts
- Breakfast options at Universal CityWalk
- Shows and other entertainment
Universal Orlando Resort boasts eight hotels, and each has something the others don’t! Use these guide pages to read about each one and decide which is best for you and your family on your unforgettable vacation.
- Comparing Universal Orlando’s on-site hotels
- Loews Portofino Bay Hotel: Jet away to the Italian Riviera
- Portofino Bay: Rooms
- Portofino Bay: Public spaces & Harbor Piazza
- Portofino Bay: Mandara Spa
- Portofino Bay: Pool areas
- Portofino Bay: Dining & lounges
- Portofino Bay: Distance from the parks
- Hard Rock Hotel Orlando: Live the rock-‘n-roll lifestyle
- Loews Royal Pacific Resort: Your South Seas escape is waiting
- Royal Pacific: Rooms
- Royal Pacific: Public spaces
- Royal Pacific: Pool area
- Royal Pacific: Dining & lounges
- Royal Pacific: Distance from the parks
- Loews Sapphire Falls Resort: A paradise where blue waterfalls cascade across lush grounds
- Universal’s Cabana Bay Beach Resort: Splash back to the 1950s & ’60s
- Universal’s Aventura Hotel: A sleek and streamlined resort experience
- Universal’s Endless Summer Resort – Surfside Inn and Suites: Never-ending fun in the sun, part I
- Universal’s Endless Summer Resort – Dockside Inn and Suites: Never-ending fun in the sun, part II
- Hotel discount for annual passholders & the logistics of checking in
- Breakfast options at the hotels
Unfortunately, even good things must come to an end. Universal Orlando Resort opened more than 20 years ago, and in their journey to keep things fresh and updated, sacrifices had to be made along the way! Use these guide pages to read up on the attractions of days gone by.
- Universal Studios Florida
- Twister: Ride It Out
- Beetlejuice’s Graveyard Revue
- Universal’s Cinematic Spectacular: 100 Years of Movie Memories
- Terminator 2 3D: Battle across Time
- Superstar Character Breakfast
- Flying Fish Market
- Beverly Hills Boulangerie (quick-service)
- A Day in the Park with Barney
- Shrek 4-D
- Islands of Adventure
- Annual events
When we say that Orlando Informer is the world’s leading resource for Universal Orlando vacation planning, we’re not just blowin’ smoke. Start your journey through our knowledge by following any link below.