On this page, you’ll find our totally up-to-date one-stop shop for everything that is currently happening at Universal Studios Florida, Islands of Adventure, Volcano Bay, and all of Universal Orlando Resort! (Yeah, this is a good page to bookmark.)
By the way, we’re very happy to let you know that this is just one page out of over 200 we have in our next-generation encyclopedia of obsessively-updated Universal Orlando vacation-planning info.
For your convenience, all links on this page will open in a new window.
Live tweeting and Facebook livestreaming from Universal Orlando
We visit Universal multiple times every month to bring our fans live in-park photo updates direct from Universal Studios Florida, Islands of Adventure, and Volcano Bay! To see all of our photo updates as they happen, we invite you to follow us on Twitter.
We also do Facebook livestreaming from in-park as well from our Facebook page and Facebook community. To be a part of these broadcasts, like our Facebook page here and join our private community here.
Current promotions and resort-wide changes
Universal’s newest theme park, Epic Universe, has gotten delayed – first by a year, and now indefinitely (it was originally supposed to debut in 2023).
Learn everything there is to know about the park, its first confirmed land (Super Nintendo World), and the whole new campus of Universal Orlando Resort that’s (eventually) arriving with it over on our complete page.
New customizable t-shirts in The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
After a few days of experimenting with custom Quidditch t-shirts at Universal Studios Store and Islands of Adventure Trading Company (the main, front-of-park store for each theme park), Universal has since rolled the new merchandise out to Quality Quidditch Supplies (at Diagon Alley) and Dervish and Banges (at Hogsmeade). The shirts are $40 and the personalization is $20.
Early Park Admission
The Universal Studios Florida attraction that opens up alongside The Wizarding World of Harry Potter for Early Park Admission is now Despicable Me Minion Mayhem (at previous times, it was either Revenge of the Mummy or Fast & Furious – Supercharged).
And back over at Volcano Bay, there are now seven slides that greet EPA goers. You can find the whole list over at our complete guide to EPA.
Upcoming annual events and special celebrations
Halloween Horror Nights 2020
What was supposed to have been Universal’s grand 30th anniversary may have been cancelled for this year and delayed to next, but that hasn’t stopped the company from salvaging as much of the event as it possibly can for this fall.
Halloween 2020 at Universal Orlando is included with your daytime admission and consists of four major elements:
- Two haunted houses (from HHN 30)
- Trick-or-treating (for kids) at Islands of Adventure
- Scarecrow Stalk at Universal Studios Florida
- Dressing up in costume (for all ages)
And in case that weren’t enough, there are also several exclusive food and drink options all throughout the resort, which you can read all about in our complete guide.
Rock the Universe 2021
We already have the dates for next year’s big Christian music fest! You can find more info over on our guide page.
Hard Rock Hotel
March’s Velvet Sessions, featuring Wang Chung, was cancelled, most likely due to the COVID-19 closure of Universal Orlando; similarly, the April 17 performance by Psychedelic Furs was first pushed to August 7, then October 23, and has now been pulled altogether. In case it comes back, here’s the pricing info: the tickets started at $55 (for standing room-only) and went all the way up to $85 for the VIP option (which throws a special viewing area with a private bar into the mix). The link was located here.
Not familiar with Hard Rock’s Velvet Sessions? They’re special rock-‘n-roll cocktail parties and lobby concerts that are intended for guests aged 21 and older.
Portofino Bay Hotel
Portofino Bay Hotel’s Harbor Nights events have been, for the moment, cancelled. We’ll keep you updated if and when they return for the year (future dates were slated for October 16 and November 27).
Please note Harbor Nights are for guests aged 21 and older.
Hard Rock Live
Located at Universal CityWalk, Hard Rock Live is a multi-use performance center that features a variety of acts, from pop and rock artists to stand-up comedians to special events (both public and private). Because the venue has dozens of events scheduled at any one time, we aren’t able to list them here – so be sure to check out its website to see if one of your favorite acts will be on-site when you’re there!
Universal Studios Florida
TODAY Cafe – set foot on the set where The TODAY Show is filmed and chow down on a smorgasbord of delicious food and drink options, including an exclusive coffee blend, pastries, lattes, beer and wine, and a host of other New York-inspired dishes. You can read all about it over on the OI Blog.
Annual passholders’ lounge – from November 2018 until sometime in 2020 (the date keeps getting extended), Universal has a new hang-out spot exclusively for its annual passholders. You can find it in the Hollywood section of Universal Studios Florida, near Schwab’s Pharmacy; the hours are, usually, from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm, though you’ll want to double-check on the day of your arrival.
The list above is only a summary of the current ride refurbishments, openings, and closings at Universal Studios Florida. For a complete list of the park’s attractions, scroll to the bottom of this page or visit the OI Universal Center table of contents.
Islands of Adventure
Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure – find out everything there is to know about the newest Harry Potter ride over on our guide page.
Dark Arts at Hogwarts Castle – the third Wizarding World projection-mapping show (in as many years) debuted in fall 2019. Read about your walk on the dark side with Lord Voldemort and all of his loyal followers in our big article.
The Eighth Voyage of Sindbad – Islands of Adventure’s stunt show, which opened with the park on May 28, 1999, staged its last performance on Saturday, September 15, 2018. You can find out the reasons why over on the OI Blog.
The list above is only a summary of the current ride refurbishments, openings, and closings at Islands of Adventure. For a complete list of the park’s attractions, scroll to the bottom of this page or visit the OI Universal Center table of contents.
Express Pass changes – there are now two types of Express Passes that are available at Volcano Bay. The basic level covers seven rides (Krakatau Aqua Coaster, Punga Racers, Taniwha Tubes, and the two double-headers of Honu ika Moana and Maku Puihi), while the new premium version adds in four additional attractions (Ko’okiri Body Plunge, Kala & Tai Nui Serpentine Body Slides, and the double Ohyah and Ohno Drop Slides).
Pricing depends on the day (such as $50 for basic and $80 for premium, as just one example), and the passes can only be obtained in the park. For more, see our Volcano Bay tickets and Express Pass pages.
Epic Universe, Universal’s newest theme park, was announced in August 2019 but indefinitely delayed a year later, thanks to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic (previously, it was set for a 2024 opening date). Find out everything there is to know about the park’s past and future over in the Universal Center.
Store closures – Fresh Produce, an apparel store, closed on December 23, 2019, and others have since followed it: The Island Clothing Co. on January 15, 2020, Fossil on February 23, and P!Q on February 25. There is no word on what, if anything, will replace them.
Bigfire – CityWalk’s newest restaurant, which replaces Emeril’s, opened on June 26, 2019. Bigfire cooks all of its food on a giant wood-fire grill in the center of the venue, using different types of wood to bring out different smoky flavors. You can get all the details over in the OI Universal Center.
CityWalk’s movie theater – AMC Universal Cineplex 20 with IMAX shut down on Friday, September 14, 2018 and reopened just a few days afterwards as Universal Cinemark, though the process to transition/upgrade each of the theater’s 20 auditoriums continued on for the next several months. You can read more on our movie theater page.
Looking for CityWalk events? They are included in our events section near the top of the page — skip up there.
For more information about Universal CityWalk, scroll to the bottom of this page or visit the OI Universal Center table of contents.
Universal Orlando’s hotels
Endless Summer Resort – Dockside Inn and Suites – the second half of Universal’s new hotel complex has gotten indefinitely delayed thanks to the coronavirus (originally, it was scheduled to open on March 17, 2020). You can learn more here.
Endless Summer Resort – Surfside Inn and Suites – the other half of Endless Summer Resort opened on June 27, 2019. You can learn all about the hotel here.
Looking for hotel events? They are included in our events section near the top of the page — skip up there.
The list above is only a summary of the current projects relating to the Loews hotels at Universal Orlando. For complete details about these properties, check out the links below or visit the OI Universal Center table of contents.
See everything else you’ve been missing
When we say that Orlando Informer is the world’s leading resource for Universal Orlando vacation planning, we’re not just blowin’ smoke. Start your journey through our knowledge by following any link below.
- How to save on flights to Orlando
- The best Orlando theme parks by age group
- Which Universal Orlando theme park is better?
- How many days to spend at Universal Orlando?
- Maps, Rider’s Guide, & vacation brochure
- Universal Orlando annual passes – complete insider’s guide
- Accessibility accommodations
- Universal vacation packages – an insider’s guide
- Top 12 easiest ways to save time & money at Universal
- Ride wait times based on crowd levels
- Universal Express Passes – complete insider’s guide
- The secret to getting UNLIMITED Express Passes
- Universal’s Q-bot Ride Reservation System
- Universal Dining Plans – complete insider’s guide
- Dining reservations at Universal Orlando
- Parking & Universal’s transportation hub
- Shuttles, taxis, & towncars – transportation recommendations
- Orlando average monthly temperatures
- What to pack for your vacation
- What’s coming to Universal in 2020 and beyond
- Shopping & merchandise at Universal Orlando
- Visiting USF with kids – a complete guide
- Visiting IOA with kids – a complete guide
- Visiting VB with kids – a complete guide
- Virtual Lines at Universal Orlando
- Mobile ordering at Universal Orlando
- Rental & ride lockers at Universal
- Characters at Universal’s theme parks
- Child Swap at Universal’s thrill rides
- MIB: How to max out your score at 999,999
- Refillable cups, popcorn buckets, & Coke Freestyle
- Free internet access at Universal Orlando
- Phone charging at Universal Orlando
- My Universal Photos & ride photos
- 20 ideas for free or inexpensive entertainment around Orlando
- Breakfast at Universal Orlando Resort
- Only guaranteed ways to beat the crowds at the Wizarding World
- How to ensure your trip to the Wizarding World is a success!
- Early Park Admission to the Wizarding World – a complete guide
- Return tickets & standby line to enter the Wizarding World
- Interactive wands & spell-casting in the Wizarding World
- Complete insider’s guide to Butterbeer
- The specialty drinks, meals, and desserts of Diagon Alley
- Leaky Cauldron: The grandest feast a wizard can have
- Three Broomsticks & Hog’s Head: Drink in the details
- Shopping & merchandise at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley
- Shopping & merchandise at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Hogsmeade
- Rock the Universe 2021
- Running Universal Orlando 2020
- Mardi Gras 2020
- Fourth of July 2020
- Halloween Horror Nights 2020 (overview & explanation)
- Thanksgiving 2019
- Holidays 2019
- New Year’s Eve 2019
- Universal Studios & Islands of Adventure 1-day touring plan
- Ultimate Universal Studios 1-day touring plan
- Ultimate Islands of Adventure 1-day touring plan
- Volcano Bay touring plan
- 3-day touring plan for on-site guests: Day 1
- 3-day touring plan for on-site guests: Day 2
- 3-day touring plan for on-site guests: Day 3
- Wizarding World of Harry Potter touring plan
- Design your own Universal Orlando touring plans
- OI Priority List: Universal Studios Florida
- OI Priority List: Islands of Adventure
- Production Central
- New York
- San Francisco
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley
- Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts
- The Hogwarts Express
- Tales of Beedle the Bard & Celestina Warbeck
- Ollivander’s Wand Shop in Diagon Alley
- London waterfront
- Diagon Alley shopping
- Horizont Alley
- Carkitt Market
- Knockturn Alley
- The Leaky Cauldron (quick-service)
- Florean Fortescue’s Ice-Cream Parlour (quick-service)
- World Expo
- Springfield, USA
- Kang & Kodos’ Twirl ‘n Hurl
- Bumblebee Man’s Taco Truck (quick-service)
- Duff Brewery (limited-service bar)
- Moe’s Tavern (limited-service bar)
- Simpsons Fast Food Blvd – overview
- Woody Woodpecker’s KidZone
- Port of Entry
- Marvel Super Hero Island
- Toon Lagoon
- Skull Island: Reign of Kong
- Jurassic Park
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Hogsmeade
- Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
- Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure
- Flight of the Hippogriff
- Triwizard Spirit Rally & Frog Choir
- Ollivander’s Wand Shop in Hogsmeade
- The Nighttime Lights at Hogwarts Castle
- Dark Arts at Hogwarts Castle
- The Three Broomsticks & Hog’s Head (quick-service)
- The Lost Continent
- Seuss Landing
- Wave Village
- River Village
- Rainforest Village
Universal’s Epic Universe – complete guide and history (coming in 2024)
- Full-service restaurants
- Quick-service restaurants
- Breakfast options at Universal CityWalk
- Shows and other entertainment
- Comparing Universal Orlando’s on-site hotels
- Loews Portofino Bay Hotel: Jet away to the Italian Riviera
- Hard Rock Hotel Orlando: Live the rock-‘n-roll lifestyle
- Loews Royal Pacific Resort: Your South Seas escape is waiting
- Loews Sapphire Falls Resort: A paradise where blue waterfalls cascade across lush grounds
- Universal’s Cabana Bay Beach Resort: Splash back to the 1950s & ’60s
- Universal’s Aventura Hotel: A sleek and streamlined resort experience
- Universal’s Endless Summer Resort – Surfside Inn and Suites: Never-ending fun in the sun, part I
- Universal’s Endless Summer Resort – Dockside Inn and Suites: Never-ending fun in the sun, part II (opening TBA)
- On-site hotel discount for annual passholders & the logistics of checking in
- Universal Studios Florida
- Islands of Adventure
- Annual events