On this page, you’ll find our up-to-date one-stop shop for everything that is currently happening at Universal Studios Florida, Islands of Adventure, Volcano Bay, and all of Universal Orlando Resort! (Yeah, this is a good page to bookmark.)
By the way, we’re very happy to let you know that this is just one page out of over 300 we have in our next-generation encyclopedia of obsessively-updated Universal Orlando vacation-planning info.
For your convenience, all links on this page will open in a new window.
Live tweeting and Facebook livestreaming from Universal Orlando
We visit Universal multiple times every month to bring our fans live in-park photo and video updates direct from Universal Studios Florida, Islands of Adventure, Volcano Bay, and CityWalk! To see all of our photo updates as they happen, we invite you to follow us on Twitter.
Current promotions and resort-wide changes
Jurassic World VelociCoaster opens June 10!
Universal finally announced on April 6 that its highly anticipated, Jurassic World-themed roller coaster would bow on Thursday, June 10, 2021. You can read more (and see our crazy little video about the new date) over on our blog.
Universal Orlando’s new Universal Studios Store
It’s here! On April 1, the brand-new Universal Studios Store at CityWalk opened its doors. We walk you through its beautiful new layout and aesthetics here.
The old Studios Store, meanwhile, is now the retro-focused Universal Legacy Store. You can read all about it in our new guide page.
Universal’s newest theme park, Epic Universe, is back on track! After originally being announced in August 2019, all construction was halted in July 2020 thanks to the coronavirus pandemic – but, on March 3, 2021, Universal was happy to reveal that it was starting everything back up. Although it’ll take the next several months for the process to get back to where it was at the beginning of 2020, it’s still good news – and an even better indicator of where businesses think our economy will be as we finally start to look past COVID-19.
Volcano Bay is open again! The water park was closed down from November 2, 2020 to February 27, 2021, due to the ongoing consequences of COVID-19 on the tourism industry. You can find out what (re)opening day was like right here.
Blue Man Group
The 14-year-old stage show at Universal CityWalk Orlando has, sadly, come to a close. On February 1, Blue Man Productions announced that its Universal presence has officially ended (although its last showing was actually back in March 2020, when the whole resort initially closed due to the coronavirus pandemic).
You can read more about the development in our write-up.
A Day in the Park with Barney
Universal Orlando was hit with a second attraction closure within the same week – hot on the heels of the Blue Man announcement came one regarding A Day in the Park with Barney, the 26-year-old show/playground hybrid that helped lead to the formal creation of Woody Woodpecker’s KidZone. We have more on all this here.
Early Park Admission
The Universal Studios Florida attraction that opens up alongside The Wizarding World of Harry Potter for Early Park Admission is now Despicable Me Minion Mayhem (at previous times, it was either Revenge of the Mummy or Fast & Furious – Supercharged). Over at Islands of Adventure, meanwhile, it’s The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man (though, when things get really busy, The Incredible Hulk Coaster and/or Doctor Doom’s Fearfall get temporarily added to the lineup, as well).
Upcoming annual events and special celebrations
Mardi Gras 2021
Mardi Gras has been extended by a full two weeks! Even though the event looks a little different this year, thanks to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, it’s still obviously popular with guests.
See what’s different (spoiler: no concerts or parade), what’s new (the Scavenger Hunt and more food than ever before), and why the name has changed (to International Flavors of Carnaval) in our insider’s guide.
Halloween Horror Nights 2021
Beetlejuice is back! Fresh from his one-weekend-only appearance last Halloween, the Ghost with the Most has just become the first intellectual-property-based haunted house for 2021.
Read all about it here.
Rock the Universe 2022
The first-of-the-year Universal Orlando annual event has been postponed from January 2021 to ’22. You can read more about the Christian rock fest on our guide page.
Hard Rock Hotel
March 2020’s Velvet Sessions, featuring Wang Chung, was cancelled, most likely due to the COVID-19 closure of Universal Orlando; similarly, the April 17 performance by Psychedelic Furs was first pushed to August 7, then October 23, and has now been pulled altogether. In case it comes back, here’s the pricing info: the tickets started at $55 (for standing room-only) and went all the way up to $85 for the VIP option (which throws a special viewing area with a private bar into the mix). The link was located here.
Not familiar with Hard Rock’s Velvet Sessions? They’re special rock-‘n-roll cocktail parties and lobby concerts that are intended for guests aged 21 and older.
Portofino Bay Hotel
Portofino Bay Hotel’s Harbor Nights events were cancelled for nearly all of last year, and there is no word yet on whether they will return for this year (the next ordinarily scheduled one would be Harbor Nights Primavera, which normally runs in either March or April). We’ll keep you updated with the latest word.
Please note Harbor Nights are for guests aged 21 and older.
Hard Rock Live
Located at Universal CityWalk, Hard Rock Live is a multi-use performance center that features a variety of acts, from pop and rock artists to stand-up comedians to special events (both public and private). Because the venue has dozens of events scheduled at any one time, we aren’t able to list them here – so be sure to check out its website to see if one of your favorite acts will be on-site when you’re there!
Universal Studios Florida
TODAY Cafe – set foot on the set where The TODAY Show is filmed and chow down on a smorgasbord of delicious food and drink options, including an exclusive coffee blend, pastries, lattes, beer and wine, and a host of other New York-inspired dishes. You can read all about it over on the OI Blog.
Annual passholders’ lounge – in November 2018, Universal unveiled a new hang-out spot exclusively for its annual passholders. You can find it in Studio Styles in the Hollywood section of Universal Studios Florida, near Schwab’s Pharmacy; here, you can purchase exclusive merchandise and drinks (such as from the Arctic Coke Cooler, which crystalizes Coca-Cola beverages), relax while your phone or tablet recharges, and take advantage of some concierge services.
Originally, Universal announced that this would be a limited-time affair, but, first, it kept pushing back the lounge’s closure date, and, now, it’s dropped such verbiage altogether – it would seem that the annual passholders’ lair is here to stay indefinitely.
The UOAP Lounge’s hours are, usually, from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm daily, though you’ll want to double-check on the day of your arrival.
The list above is only a summary of the current ride refurbishments, openings, and closings at Universal Studios Florida. For a complete list of the park’s attractions, scroll to the bottom of this page or visit the OI Universal Center table of contents.
Islands of Adventure
Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure – find out everything there is to know about the newest Harry Potter ride over on our guide page.
Dark Arts at Hogwarts Castle – the third Wizarding World projection-mapping show (in as many years) debuted in fall 2019. Read about your walk on the dark side with Lord Voldemort and all of his loyal followers in our big article.
The Eighth Voyage of Sindbad – Islands of Adventure’s stunt show, which opened with the park on May 28, 1999, staged its last performance on Saturday, September 15, 2018. You can find out the reasons why over on the OI Blog.
The list above is only a summary of the current ride refurbishments, openings, and closings at Islands of Adventure. For a complete list of the park’s attractions, scroll to the bottom of this page or visit the OI Universal Center table of contents.
Park closure – Universal’s water theme park just reopened on February 27, 2021, after a nearly-four-month-long closure. We wrote about our experiences visiting on that first day right here.
Express Pass changes – there are now two types of Express Passes that are available at Volcano Bay. The basic level covers seven rides (Krakatau Aqua Coaster, Punga Racers, Taniwha Tubes, and the two double-headers of Honu ika Moana and Maku Puihi), while the new premium version adds in four additional attractions (Ko’okiri Body Plunge, Kala & Tai Nui Serpentine Body Slides, and the double Ohyah & Ohno Drop Slides).
Pricing depends on the day (such as $50 for basic and $80 for premium, as just one example), and the passes can only be obtained in the park. For more, see our Volcano Bay tickets and Express Pass pages.
Epic Universe, Universal’s newest theme park, was announced in August 2019, indefinitely delayed a year later (thanks to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic), and put back on track in March 2021. Find out everything there is to know about the park’s past and future over in the Universal Center
Store change-ups – Fresh Produce, an apparel shop, closed on December 23, 2019. Three others followed it in the subsequent months: The Island Clothing Co. on January 15, 2020, Fossil on February 23, and P!Q on February 25. All four are making way for the new Universal Studios Store; the old venue, meanwhile, is getting a transformation into a retro shop.
Bigfire – CityWalk’s newest restaurant, which replaces Emeril’s, opened on June 26, 2019. Bigfire cooks all of its food on a giant wood-fire grill in the center of the venue, using different types of wood to bring out different smoky flavors. You can get all the details over in the OI Universal Center.
CityWalk’s movie theater – AMC Universal Cineplex 20 with IMAX shut down on Friday, September 14, 2018 and reopened just a few days afterwards as Universal Cinemark, though the process to transition/upgrade each of the theater’s 20 auditoriums continued on for the next several months. You can read more on our movie theater page.
Looking for CityWalk events? They are included in our events section near the top of the page — skip up there.
For more information about Universal CityWalk, scroll to the bottom of this page or visit the OI Universal Center table of contents.
Universal Orlando’s hotels
Endless Summer Resort – Dockside Inn and Suites – the second half of Universal’s new hotel complex may have initially gotten indefinitely delayed thanks to the coronavirus, but it finally has a grand opening date: December 15, 2020. (Just for the record, its debut was originally scheduled for March 17, 2020.) You can learn more about the eighth property at Universal Orlando here.
Endless Summer Resort – Surfside Inn and Suites – the other half of Endless Summer Resort opened on June 27, 2019. You can learn all about the hotel here.
Looking for hotel events? They are included in our events section near the top of the page — skip up there.
The list above is only a summary of the current projects relating to the Loews hotels at Universal Orlando. For complete details about these properties, check out the links below or visit the OI Universal Center table of contents.
See everything else you’ve been missing
When we say that Orlando Informer is the world’s leading resource for Universal Orlando vacation planning, we’re not just blowin’ smoke. Start your journey through our knowledge by following any link below.
- Best day of the week to visit Universal Orlando
- Best time of the year to visit Universal Orlando
- Which Universal Orlando theme park is better?
- How many days to spend at Universal Orlando?
- Maps, Rider’s Guide, & vacation brochure
- Universal Orlando annual passes – complete insider’s guide
- Accessibility accommodations
- Universal vacation packages – an insider’s guide
- Top 12 easiest ways to save time & money at Universal
- Ride wait times based on crowd levels
- Universal Express Passes – complete insider’s guide
- The secret to getting UNLIMITED Express Passes
- Universal Dining Plans – complete insider’s guide
- Dining reservations at Universal Orlando
- Parking & Universal’s transportation hub
- Shuttles, taxis, & towncars – transportation recommendations
- Orlando average monthly temperatures
- What to pack for your vacation
- What’s coming to Universal in 2021 and beyond
- Shopping & merchandise at Universal Orlando
- Visiting USF with kids – a complete guide
- Visiting IOA with kids – a complete guide
- Visiting VB with kids – a complete guide
- Virtual Lines at Universal Orlando
- Mobile ordering at Universal Orlando
- Rental & ride lockers at Universal
- Characters at Universal’s theme parks
- Child Swap at Universal’s thrill rides
- MIB: How to max out your score at 999,999
- Refillable cups, popcorn buckets, & Coke Freestyle
- Free internet access at Universal Orlando
- Phone charging at Universal Orlando
- My Universal Photos & ride photos
- 20 ideas for free or inexpensive entertainment around Orlando
- Breakfast at Universal Orlando Resort
- Only guaranteed ways to beat the crowds at the Wizarding World
- How to ensure your trip to the Wizarding World is a success!
- Early Park Admission to the Wizarding World – a complete guide
- Return tickets & standby line to enter the Wizarding World
- Interactive wands & spell-casting in the Wizarding World
- Complete insider’s guide to Butterbeer
- The specialty drinks, meals, and desserts of Diagon Alley
- Leaky Cauldron: The grandest feast a wizard can have
- Three Broomsticks & Hog’s Head: Drink in the details
- Shopping & merchandise at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley
- Shopping & merchandise at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Hogsmeade
- Rock the Universe 2022
- Running Universal Orlando 2021
- Mardi Gras 2021
- Easter 2021
- Fourth of July 2021
- Halloween Horror Nights 2021 (overview & explanation)
- Thanksgiving 2021
- Holidays 2021
- New Year’s Eve 2021
- Universal Studios & Islands of Adventure 1-day touring plan
- Ultimate Universal Studios 1-day touring plan
- Ultimate Islands of Adventure 1-day touring plan
- Volcano Bay touring plan
- 3-day touring plan for hotel guests: Day 1
- 3-day touring plan for hotel guests: Day 2
- 3-day touring plan for hotel guests: Day 3
- Wizarding World of Harry Potter touring plan
- Design your own Universal Orlando touring plans
- OI Priority List: Universal Studios Florida
- OI Priority List: Islands of Adventure
- Production Central
- New York
- San Francisco
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley
- Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts
- The Hogwarts Express
- Tales of Beedle the Bard & Celestina Warbeck
- Ollivander’s Wand Shop in Diagon Alley
- London waterfront
- Diagon Alley shopping
- Horizont Alley
- Carkitt Market
- Knockturn Alley
- The Leaky Cauldron (quick-service)
- Florean Fortescue’s Ice-Cream Parlour (quick-service)
- World Expo
- Springfield: Home of the Simpsons
- Woody Woodpecker’s KidZone
- Port of Entry
- Marvel Super Hero Island
- Toon Lagoon
- Skull Island: Reign of Kong
- Jurassic Park
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Hogsmeade
- Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
- Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure
- Flight of the Hippogriff
- Triwizard Spirit Rally & Frog Choir
- Ollivander’s Wand Shop in Hogsmeade
- The Nighttime Lights at Hogwarts Castle
- Dark Arts at Hogwarts Castle
- The Three Broomsticks & Hog’s Head (quick-service)
- The Lost Continent
- Seuss Landing
- Wave Village
- River Village
- Rainforest Village
Universal’s Epic Universe – complete guide and history (opening TBA)
- Full-service restaurants
- Quick-service restaurants
- Food carts
- Shows and other entertainment
- Comparing Universal Orlando’s on-site hotels
- Loews Portofino Bay Hotel: Jet away to the Italian Riviera
- Hard Rock Hotel Orlando: Live the rock-‘n-roll lifestyle
- Loews Royal Pacific Resort: Your South Seas escape is waiting
- Loews Sapphire Falls Resort: A paradise where blue waterfalls cascade across lush grounds
- Universal’s Cabana Bay Beach Resort: Splash back to the 1950s & ’60s
- Universal’s Aventura Hotel: A sleek and streamlined resort experience
- Universal’s Endless Summer Resort – Surfside Inn and Suites: Never-ending fun in the sun, part I
- Universal’s Endless Summer Resort – Dockside Inn and Suites: Never-ending fun in the sun, part II – now open!
- On-site hotel discount for annual passholders & the logistics of checking in
- Universal Studios Florida
- Twister: Ride It Out
- Beetlejuice’s Graveyard Revue
- Universal’s Cinematic Spectacular: 100 Years of Movie Memories
- Terminator 2 3D: Battle across Time
- Superstar Character Breakfast
- Flying Fish Market
- Beverly Hills Boulangerie (quick-service)
- A Day in the Park with Barney
- Islands of Adventure
- Annual events