In this day and age, theme-park guests of all types want to be online and ready to share photos, videos, and the thrills of their vacation. (We at Orlando Informer don’t blame you – after all, we’re on many social networks ourselves, including Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.) This is especially the case now that Universal Orlando offers free resort-wide wifi.
However, after all this online sharing, we are commonly asked how guests can charge their phones while visiting the resort. Starting in February 2019, Universal has a new answer to this: FuelRods are available for purchase at Universal Studios Florida, Islands of Adventure, Volcano Bay, and CityWalk.
What is a FuelRod?
A FuelRod is a reusable portable charging system – the company boasts that it’s the first of its kind, with the “highest energy density on the market” – for smart phones and tablets, delivering up to eight hours of talk time on the average phone or up to four hours of usage on tablets. Once the rod (battery) you have rented is drained, you can always swap it out for another one (for a fee at Universal, while it’s free at certain other locations across the country).
How much is it to rent a FuelRod at Universal Orlando?
Currently, FuelRods are $30 for the initial device (which comes with a cable, connectors, and a carrying case), and $3 for each time you swap out your current rod for a new one.
(Pro tip: if you download FuelRod’s app, you can sign up for five free swaps.)
Where can I buy a FuelRod at Universal Orlando?
There are nine locations currently:
Universal Studios Florida
- Hollywood – next to TODAY Cafe
- New York – near the Palace Arcade
- San Francisco – inside the Fast & Furious – Supercharged gift shop
- World Expo – inside the Men in Black Alien Attack gift shop
Islands of Adventure
- Marvel Super Hero Island – inside the Marvel Alterniverse Store
- Marvel Super Hero Island – near the Comic Book Shop
- Jurassic Park – by the Jurassic Outfitters gift shop
- Seuss Landing – inside the Mulberry Street Store
- Near Guest Services
- Wave Village – inside Waturi Marketplace
Can I just use a nearby outlet at the resort to charge my phone?
While it’s unlikely for it to be an issue, outlets at the parks are not for guest use, and you may be asked to unplug your device by a team member.
- 20 Ideas for Free or Inexpensive Entertainment Around Orlando
- Breakfast Options at Universal Orlando Resort
- Character Meet and Greets at Universal Orlando – Complete Guide
- Child Swap at Universal Orlando’s Thrill Rides
- Grocery delivery guide – Walt Disney World and Universal Orlando Resort
- Internet Access at Universal Orlando – Complete Guide
- Lockers at Universal Orlando – a Complete, Up-to-Date Guide
- Men in Black Alien Attack – How to Max Out Your Score at 999,999
- Mobile Ordering at Universal Orlando – Complete Insider’s Guide
- My Universal Photos & ride photos at Universal Orlando – complete guide
- Pandemic Guide – Universal Orlando Resort
- Phone Charging at Universal Orlando – complete guide
- Refillable cups, popcorn buckets, and Coke Freestyle at Universal Orlando – complete insider’s guide
- Shopping and Merchandise at Universal Orlando – Complete, Up-to-Date Guide
- Single-riders’ lines at Universal Orlando – complete insider’s guide
- Ultimate Seating Guide to ALL the Rides
- VIP Tour Experience at Universal Orlando Resort
- Virtual Lines at Universal Orlando – complete insider’s guide
- Visiting Universal Studios Florida with kids – a complete, up-to-date guide
- Visiting Universal’s Islands of Adventure with kids – a complete, up-to-date guide
- Visiting Volcano Bay with Kids – A Complete, Up-to-Date Guide
- Ultimate Adult’s Guide to Universal Orlando Resort