Want to get this newsletter directly in your inbox? Sign up for the email version here.
Here’s what you need to know in the world of Orlando theme-park news for the week of June 7-13, 2021.
1. The big day that everyone had so patiently been waiting for finally arrived this past week: Jurassic World VelociCoaster is open! Universal’s massive – and massively fun – new attraction had a smooth first (official) day on Thursday, June 10, and we were there to thoroughly cover it:
- What the day looked like first thing in the morning (photos)
- The first train-full of guests (video)
- A mid-morning peek at wait times (photos)
- Our sharing dino facts while on the coaster (video)
- Free post-ride churros were handed out! (photos)
- Our livestream of the day (video)
2. Universal CityWalk is getting a whole new dining venue – and while we still don’t know what, exactly, it is, we got our first clues as to its ultimate identity last week. The former home of Fusion Bistro Sushi & Sake Bar, the little kiosk next to the exit of the Universal Cinemark, has received some fresh paint and a whole new aesthetic, going for a look that seems equal parts Chinese zodiac and The Cowfish Sushi Burger Bar.
Scope out the first pictures below, and then read up for a refresher on Fusion Bistro here.
3. Orlando Informer is hiring! As our business continues to grow, and as our team continues to expand into new roles and responsibilities, four new opportunities have recently popped up (including the position of editor, which was formerly held by yours truly!).
If you have what it takes – and if you live in Central Florida – be sure to hit the “apply” button on:
4. VelociCoaster opening wasn’t the only big occasion last week – Universal Orlando turned 31 on June! (Well, if we’re being technical, Universal Studios Florida hit the big milestone; the rest of the resort – that is, Islands of Adventure and CityWalk – already became 22 earlier this year.)
In addition to going over to the still-brand-new Universal Legacy Store to check out a whole panoply of retro merchandise and set-pieces from extinct attractions – a fine way to celebrate the birthday – we can also ring in the 32nd year of Universal’s life in Orlando by recapping all the new experiences we’ll be receiving throughout 2021:
- DreamWorks Destination (read more here)
- Jurassic World VelociCoaster (read more here)
- The new Universal Studios Store (read more here)
- Universal Legacy Store (read more here)
- Mystery CityWalk venue (which you just read about)
(Not too shabby for a resort that is still returning to normal after the pandemic, eh?)
5. Taylor Strickland, our owner, keeps on making new YouTube videos, and this latest one is certainly timely enough: he recorded the opening morning of Jurassic World VelociCoaster.
Get a taste of that day’s over-the-top(hat) excitement here.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for all the latest info. And then be sure to discuss everything with 125,000+ other Universal die-hard fans in our Orlando Informer Community on Facebook.