Users had three wishes: more flexibility, more information, and easier navigation. Disney says Genie delivers all three wishes.
What is Disney Genie?
Disney Genie is a new, complementary service arriving this fall to the existing MyDisneyExperience and Disneyland Apps. It is a digital tool that will help you create, plan, and execute your best day at a Disney park.
What will Disney Genie do?
Disney Genie will work with you to help you have the best possible day at a Disney park. Disney Genie will provide you with:
- Itinerary planning, with recommendations based on your interests
- Continuous updates on queue forecasts
- Access to dining needs: checking into reservations, placing mobile orders, and adding your party to a restaurant waitlist
- Answers to accessibility questions
- Answers from anywhere in the park, with the aid of a virtual assistant
How do I use Disney Genie?
- This tool will be part of the MyDisneyExperience App, starting this fall
- You will tell Disney Genie your “wishes” in various categories “Disney Favorites” (Disney Princesses, Star Wars) and “Park Interests” (Thrill Rides, Water Rides, etc.)
- “My Top Picks” will prioritize your biggest interests for the day across all categories, providing the perfect lineup of attractions, entertainment, and dining experiences
- Check your “Tip Board” to have access to what’s next on the agenda
Everything listed above is part of the complementary version of Disney Genie. Of course, guests have the option to upgrade their experience and purchase Disney Genie+. This will cost users $15 a day at Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, and $20 a day at Disneyland California. As of right now, there is no option beyond purchasing this service day by day (annual passholders sigh collectively).
How is Disney Genie+ different from Disney Genie?
The biggest difference between the two services is that Disney Genie+ offers the brand-new “Lightning Lane” entrance at select attractions. Using this, your party can select available times for rides such as Haunted Mansion, Millennium Falcon: Smuggler’s Run, or Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Lightning Lane selections will be made on the day of your park visit and can be used across parks (to accommodate the ever-popular Park Hopper option). You also have the option to purchase (beyond the price of Disney Genie+) one or two Lightning Lane entrances at those attractions with exceptionally high demands (like Seven Dwarfs Mine Train). Pricing for this access will depend on date, attraction, and park.
Walt Disney World hotel guests can purchase access to Disney Genie+ at 7am, but those not staying at a Walt Disney World hotel will have to wait until the park opens.
Other fun extras provided in Disney Genie+ are audio experiences for participants to listen to at particular locations throughout Disney parks, and new augmented reality in Photo Pass. All of these features will be added to the established itinerary creation and day guide capabilities of Disney Genie.
What do you think of this new update? Let us – and thousands of other Disney fans – know in our Orlando Informer Community on Facebook.