Festival of the Masters presented by Michaels returns to Downtown Disney Nov. 9-11, 2012 for its 37th year. The prestigious open-air fine arts festival features nearly 150 award-winning artists, sidewalk chalk art, limited-edition fine art, photography, sculpture, jewelry, glass art, Disney collectibles, live music and more. The event takes place from 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday; 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday.
Art from an array of Disney artists also will be on display and available for purchase. The Disney Artist Village tent at Pleasure Island will feature Disney character art created by masters from various Disney disciplines, including Walt Disney Imagineering, the creative design and development arm of The Walt Disney Company. At the Art of Disney, artist Dave Avanzino will create art pieces using prop-like elements and fonts based on signs and attractions found around Disney theme parks. Both locations will feature artist appearances throughout the weekend.
For the first time ever, the event will feature an Emerging Masters area, where more than 30 juried up-and-coming artists will showcase works and compete for awards. Guests also can become part of the festival with interactive fun. Various activities presented by Michaels will be available, including “Make It Take It” crafts, a do-it-yourself fashion show, and the “Michaels Master Mural” where guests can help create a mosaic-like mural.
Other activities will include complimentary face painting and live entertainment by performers from La Nouba by Cirque du Soleil, a chance to construct an 8-foot tall LEGO Hulk figure, domino games at Fuego by Sosa Cigars, live music at various venues, such as House of Blues and Bongos Cuban Café, and more. Admission and self-parking are complimentary at Downtown Disney.
For more information about Festival of the Masters, including exhibit times and other activities, please visit DisneyFestivaloftheMasters.com.
Five reasons to love Festival of the Masters
For more than 30 years Disney has hosted their spectacular open-air art festival known as the Festival of the Masters. Located at Downtown Disney, this 3-day event features over 150 award-winning local and national artists from all different genres including photography, pottery and watercolor. But it’s no ordinary art festival, and here are five reasons why you should grab your main squeeze and get there this weekend:
1) In order to qualify for the exhibition, each artist must have won a primary award in a juried art festival within the last three years. Translation: the art is damn good.
2) There’s live entertainment throughout the event, which is just as eclectic as the art. Don’t be surprised if you also see some of the performers from Cirque de Soleil wandering around.
3) The chalk art sidewalk displays are one of the best elements of the festival. Here you’ll see dozens of artists change 6,000 square feet of sidewalk into a giant canvas. The final product is unreal.
4) The festival also features various interactive activities and live artists at work, which enable you to experience artists creating their masterpieces right before your eyes.
5) It’s FREE… wonderful free. And there’s plenty of free parking too.
I suggest you take at least a couple of hours to visit all of the booths that are set up on every spare inch of space Downtown Disney has available. And maybe even decide ahead of time how much you might like to spend on a special original piece to take home.
This portion of our post was written by Kristen Manieri and was republished with permission from GreatDatesOrlando.com. Be sure to check out her fantastic site for more date night ideas!