Couples who’ve been bitten by the love bug don’t need a fairy godmother to find romance at Walt Disney World. This is, after all, home to some of the world’s most famous romances: Cinderella and Prince Charming, Lady and the Tramp, Beauty and the Beast – and don’t forget America’s sweethearts, Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse.
Throughout the 40-square-mile playground, love is in the air at the Vacation Kingdom. During a couples spa experience. In the middle of a romantic dinner. Or on one of the “love boats” that cruise Walt Disney World waterways.
Honeymooners thrive in the romantic allure of Walt Disney World – a top-rated honeymoon destination, according to industry experts. And for couples who want to make their own fairy tale dream come true – complete with Cinderella’s coach and her famous glass slipper – Disney’s Fairy Tale Weddings can create a happily-ever-after moment. For more information on Disney’s Fairy Tale Weddings, call 321/939-4623 or visit disneyweddings.com. Couples who are tying the knot back home can arrange a Disney’s Fairy Tale Honeymoon by calling 321/939-4623 or visiting the website at disneyhoneymoons.com.
The four Walt Disney World theme parks create a perfect setting for spontaneous romance – whether it’s a stroll along the lush Maharajah Jungle Trek at Disney’s Animal Kingdom or a relaxing stop for a latte with a chocolate croissant at the new new Les Halles Boulangerie & Patisserie in the France Pavilion at Epcot World Showcase. Beyond the parks, couples can embrace a bouquet of romantic experiences that seem designed just for them:
The Couple that ‘Spas’ and ‘Flies’ Together… – What’s more enjoyable than a luxurious spa treatment? Imagine sharing it with that special someone. Senses – A Disney Spa at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort features a “couples room” where guests can enjoy specialized spa treatments – such as massages and facials – with the one they love. For information about spa treatments, call 407/WDW-SPAS.
Make like Aladdin and Jasmine – fly through the sky with your loved one on an adventurous tandem parasail over Bay Lake. Those looking to soar to new heights can spend 10 minutes alone soaring high above Disney and get a bird’s-eye view of Magic Kingdom and its neighboring resorts. Contact Sammy Duvall’s Watersports Centre at Disney’s Contemporary Resort, or call 407/939-0754 for reservations for a tandem flight.
Sunset in the Sky – A very different kind of flight is aboard a tethered balloon rising gently into the Florida sky. Located on the waterfront at Downtown Disney, Characters in Flight gives romantics a chance to take their love to new heights. Operating daily (weather permitting), the giant balloon provides breathtaking sights from 400 ft. up in the air with an unparalleled, 360-degree view of the Vacation Kingdom and beyond. Flights take place between 8:30 a.m. and midnight and last approximately 8-10 minutes. Romantics who time their flight to sunset or fireworks bursting above the parks are in for a special treat. Tickets can be purchased at Downtown Disney West Side.
Disney Dining Serves Romance – Couples find Disney dining infused with romance in settings ranging from subdued to spectacular.
- Beneath shimmering chandeliers, lovebirds can dine in fairy tale elegance at Be Our Guest Restaurant in New Fantasyland. Known as the place where Belle and Beast fell in love, the grand ballroom in Beast’s Castle is the perfect setting for romance as ‘snow’ falls on the French countryside outside the windows and guests dine on French-inspired cuisine and fine wines.
- One of the most romantic dinner spots at Walt Disney World is a table for two at Victoria & Albert’s at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa. The elegant restaurant has been honored with the Five-Diamond Award from AAA for its gourmet cuisine. Combining Royal Doulton china, Cristofle silver and personalized menus, Victoria & Albert’s is the “crown jewel” of the Grand Floridian’s dining destinations. Soft harp music fills the air in the intimate dining room. Ladies also receive a long-stemmed red rose.
- For the ultimate romantic experience, an evening at the Chef’s Table is unsurpassed. Couples are seated at a cozy table in Victoria & Albert’s kitchen and treated to a culinary feast custom-tailored to their palates by Chef Scott Hunnel.
- Guests who prefer to dine in an even more intimate setting at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa need only to pick up the closest telephone. The Grand Floridian can arrange a private dinner for two, served against the elegant backdrop of the Grand Floridian beach – or aboard the Grand 1 – on a sunset excursion along Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake. Certain menu items can be specially prepared for the evening. Seven-day notice is requested.
- For all Walt Disney World dining information, guests can call 407/WDW-DINE (939-3463).
The Love Boat – The Grand Floridian’s Grand 1 – an elegant 52-foot yacht – can give couples, or parties up to 18, a stunning view of “Wishes” fireworks showering above Magic Kingdom during select evening cruises along Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake. Private butler service and gourmet meals also are available. Romantic evening cruises include a captain and private deck hand. Reservations may be made up to 90 days in advance by calling 407/WDW-PLAY. Callers to that same number can ask about Magic Kingdom or Epcot fireworks cruises aboard gently floating pontoon boats. To turn up the romance, lovebirds can order up champagne and chocolate-covered strawberries for their fireworks viewing.
Nature Lovers – A horseback ride through one of the backwoods trails at Walt Disney World is just the thing for couples who share a love of nature and each other. Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground offers wrangler-led tours (45 minutes) through the deep, pine-scented woods that make up part of the Vacation Kingdom’s 40 square miles. Tours leave several times daily from Trail Blaze Corral, and may be reserved by calling 407/WDW-PLAY (939-7529).
Romantic Evening – Horse-drawn carriage rides through the wilderness of Walt Disney World are a romantic treat for couples looking for a secluded nighttime outing. The antique carriages depart from Pioneer Hall at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground and traverse throughout the scenic landscape of the 750-acre rustic resort. Or guests can choose a relaxing old-fashioned carriage ride through Disney’s Port Orleans Resort-Riverside with pickup at Boatwright’s Dining Hall. Each nightly excursion is 25 minutes long. For reservations, guests can call 407/WDW-PLAY (939-7529).
Renewing Vows – Many couples who’ve been married for years are coming to Walt Disney World, often with their families, to renew their vows five, 10, 25 and 50 years later. A Disney vacation provides the perfect backdrop to celebrate this family milestone. Disney’s Fairy Tale Weddings experts can tailor the ceremony and celebration to suit each couple. Call 321/939-4623 or visit disneyweddings.com.