ICE is back with a brand new adventure: “Merry Madagascar” takes over Gaylord Palms Nov 10 – Jan 1 (updated with photos)
We were invited to a sneak peak of Gaylord Palms’ ICE! attraction last Friday. After you learn about the attraction, check out our photo huge photo gallery at the bottom.
Do you feel that chill in the air? It’s time to bundle up in those cozy winter coats, hats and scarves and slip on over to Central Florida’s coolest one-of-a-kind 9-degree Christmas attraction: ICE! featuring DreamWorks Animation “Merry Madagascar” at Gaylord Palms. Celebrating its 10th year, ICE! is more fun than ever, exhibiting more than 20,000 square feet of hand-carved ice sculptures made of 2 million pounds of ice — including four incredible two-story ice slides. The adventure begins Nov. 10 for people of all ages, and is open seven days a week.
Lions and Penguins and ICE! Oh, My!
Prepare to be mesmerized by the vibrant color blast as you wander through the icy wonderland at your own pace. Relive the story of how Alex the Lion and his friends saved Christmas after Santa and his reindeer crash onto the island of Madagascar with this inspiring tribute to the unforgettable DreamWorks Animation TV classic “Merry Madagascar.”
Eleven vignettes showcase different scenes from the TV classic. Capture the charm of the “Florida Freezer” with characters such as Melman the Giraffe, the tallest sculpture, standing at 10 feet. Dare to disregard the pizzazz of the penguins. Not to disappoint, we’ve also got something for those thrill-seekers searching for a way to make their indelible mark. Enter a room featuring the Eiffel Tower, Statue of Liberty, Big Ben, St. Basil and the sphinx and plummet down one of four massive ice slides!
A team of 40 talented artisans traveled from Harbin, China, to work meticulously for more than a month to slice and shave 6,000 blocks of colored and clear ice, each weighing approximately 400 pounds, to carve this incredible experience. To illuminate their craftsmanship, they froze more than 1,000 LED light tubes into the attraction.
IMPORTANT: ICE! is kept at a frigid 9 degrees Fahrenheit (-13 degrees Celsius). Be sure to dress appropriately: Closed-toe shoes and long pants are required. Hooded winter coats are provided for your warmth and comfort inside the attraction and are available in a variety of sizes, including sizes for children. Hats and gloves are strongly recommended and may be purchased on site at the ICE! house gift shop.
ICE! at Gaylord Palms is a can’t-miss event for everyone this Christmas season. Whether you’re looking for something to do during the afternoon to ignite the holiday spirit or you’re a thrill-seeker in search of your next daring adventure, ICE! is for you. Additional activities offered around the resort free of charge include a massive 54-foot tall majestic Christmas tree lighting; live stage shows, including the spirited Luminescence – featuring The Edge Effect Christmas show; and the Polar Bear Pursuit Scavenger Hunt.
However, the best way to benefit from all that Gaylord Palms has to offer is to book a room and become immersed in the splendor of Christmas. Guests seeking a complete Christmas experience can purchase special “Christmassy DreamWorks Experience” packages starting at $189.99 per room, per night (for a three night stay). Packages include unlimited visits to ICE! and a number of other activities, including a ShrekFeast Interactive Character Meal, and more!
You may feel a chill in the air, but you’ll feel warmth in your heart as you create wonderful holiday memories that last a lifetime.
ICE! is open daily from Nov. 10, 2012 through Jan. 1, 2013, including holidays. Ticket prices for children start at $9.99, and adult ticket prices start at $18.99. Florida Residents save an extra $4 per ticket. For more information and to purchase tickets, go to www.christmasatgaylordpalms.com. ICE! is presented by Coca-Cola.
Five tips for making the most out of your trip to ICE!
1. Buy your tickets in advance and try your best to figure out how to get a discount, as there are plenty available. Promos can be found on the ICE! page at GaylordHotels.com, on their Twitter account, and on their Facebook Page. In fact, there is one right now for 50% off tickets for Saturday, November 17.
2. Avoid the weekends. ICE! brings in a huge local crowd, and of course the local crowd tends to show up on weekends. To be able to experience this event with minimal waiting, try to go during the week — and as always, the earlier you go in the season, the better.
3. You gotta pay for parking. Last time we checked it was $15 for on-site self parking, $22 for valet. The only way to get out of parking is to eat a full meal at one of Gaylord Palms’ full-service restaurants.
4. Try to schedule your visit when you can enjoy all the complimentary entertainment in their main atrium. If you visit ICE! and stay for the Luminescence Christmas show and have time to stroll around the resort — making it a several hour affair — then all of a sudden $100 for your family’s admission and $15 for parking doesn’t feel quite as bad. Keep in mind that the free entertainment does not run every day though, so be sure to call 407-586-4423 to confirm the show schedule.
5. Bring your own gloves, socks, and closed shoes!
ICE! 2012 at Gaylord Palms – photo gallery
Click any image to view it full-screen. When the full-screen image is open, click to the right or use the right arrow on your keyboard to advance through the gallery. If several thumbnails are missing, try reloading this page in your browser.
This post was originally published on November 7, 2012.