ATTENTION GALAXY DEFENDERS
In early December 2012 Universal lowered the overall points earned when hitting targets by 50 to 75 percent. This now has made it extremely difficult, although not impossible, to max out your score. The strategy explained below is still accurate — just be aware you are going to need to practice, and have a nearly perfect ride, to max out at 999,999. We wish you luck!
MEN IN BLACK: Alien Attack is one of the most popular attractions at Universal Orlando, and definitely a fan-favorite. But this shooter-style ride can be as challenging as it is entertaining. That’s why we have brought together the best minds in the galaxy to help you learn how to blast alien scum with authority — and get your points to max out at 999,999.
MIB : Alien Attack – general tips
There are a few general tips I’m going to point out before walking through the ride.
- First of all, never let go of the trigger (it will keep firing, just hold it down), even when there’s nothing to shoot — every 10 shots earns you 1000 points, so even if you shot the ceiling the entire ride you’d still get points. Also, there’s no penalty for missed shots. Keep in mind your gun can determine a lot — some guns are just downright terrible and with those you won’t do as well.
- Secondly, while the big nasty aliens that are on the ground look like the more threatening and obvious targets, they are worth little to nothing as far as points go. You will want to ignore them and focus on the smaller targets like aliens in windows or eyes in the wall. Also try to get an side seat as the middle seat makes it hard to shoot at things behind you, limiting your targets.
- Lastly, focus on a single target as long as you can — you get the same amount of points for shooting the alien the first time as you do the tenth. If you have a good target that’s racking up the points, stay on it as long as you can. Every time you switch targets you’re losing at least a shot or two on a direct target.
Now that you’ve gone through basic training let’s move onto the mission details. While these tips will work for both sides of the tracks, the green and red side are different and each of their own intricacies, but mainly the same strategies.
For reference, the green side is the left (outside) track as you are seating in the ride vehicle; the red side is the right (inside) track.
MIB : Alien Attack – training room
In the “training room,” you start with three targets hanging from the ceiling. Depending on what seat you’re in shoot the corresponding alien (left, center, or right) until you are below them and can no longer hit them. Next you will want to go for one of the hanging/swinging aliens for a few shots until the far window aliens pop out, once they pop out dial in on them until training is over, and Zed tells you the aliens have landed, and your blasters are being put on full power. A good round in the training room should net you about 150k, anything less than 100k and you’ll have a lot of ground to make up in the crash sites.
MIB : Alien Attack – Frank’s room
In the second room you can usually get a glimpse of “Frank the pug” in the newspaper stand on the far right side of the track’s red side, when your guns first go to full blast. Try to take a few shots at him from there as he’s worth a lot more points than the worthless aliens that pop up (something to note: aim for his head and collar area as the rest of him is unlikely to recognize a hit). If you’re on the red side, you will want to focus almost exclusively on Frank in this part, generally by turning in your seat you can shoot over your shoulder at him. On the green side, when Frank is out of view turn your attention to the far windows with blinds until Frank is back in view. Shoot Frank until you’re past him, or if he isn’t registering hits, then move to the windows above and in front (you’ll know if you hit Frank or not — a hit on him makes a different sound than normal, like the sound you get from a fusion exhaust port hit later in the game).
MIB : Alien Attack – the crash site room
In the crash site room once past Frank, focus 100% on the second-floor aliens. Even in the windows with opening/closing blinds you can continue to shoot; if done right you can dial in on the crack between the blinds to continue to get the aliens there. You should exclusively shoot aliens in windows in this room — nothing else — and when the car starts to pull into the ambush hallway (this is dead space) continue to shoot at the one window with blinds over your shoulder (key area to have an side seat) to keep scoring in that dead space.
MIB : Alien Attack – ambush room
Once the ambush starts, pick one of the small guys popping out of a bucket/trashcan and shoot him until the eyes in the bushes appear. Shoot the green eyes in the bushes until the scan starts and your guns power off for a bit — you’ll get a small respite during the scan to kick back for a few seconds. After the scan ends you want to be around 400k-500k to have a chance at maxing.
MIB : Alien Attack – fusion exhaust port
After the scan ends, shoot the other car in the fusion exhaust port once or twice so they don’t aim at you anymore (after a few spins people usually get distracted and leave you alone — if you get spun here you can miss out on serious points). Now look for the green eyes on the wall right after the scan (right side of the red track, these are easier for the green side to hit then the red, as they are likely to be behind your car on the red side). They’re small but worth a lot. Focus on them in between exhaust port shots while the other car is spinning. After you spin them once or twice, aim for the blue of their exhaust port (you’ll be a little in front of them because the spinning slows them down) and stay locked in — the blue hits won’t cause them to spin, allowing for massive points. If you do this right you’ll hear a special sound for each shot. Do this until the bonus spot. Keep shooting over your shoulder as long as you can even if you can’t see anything as there’s no points when you’re approaching the big bug, and scoring an extra 25k from a fusion exhaust port shot can make a big difference. (This is one of the key areas where having an side seat is helpful.)
MIB : Alien Attack – the big bug bonus
You’re almost at the end, recruit! This is the final challenge: When coming up to the big bug at the end of the ride, everyone can get the bonus if done right. When Zed says the word “push” in the sentence “Push the red button…” Everyone in the car should continuously hold down the red button at the word “push” to allow for multiple bonuses, as opposed to the normal one bonus people receive. Make sure you hold it until the bonus is awarded. If done right, most times multiple people will get the bonus, and it’s possible for the entire car to get it!
MIB : Alien Attack – Go get ‘em, boys!
If you follow even half of these instructions there’s no reason why you can’t score over 500,000 points and earn your very own suit for becoming a galaxy defender. And hey, with enough practice you to may be able to become the best of the best and max out, like OI reader JT…
- 20 ideas for free or inexpensive entertainment around Orlando
- Character Meet and Greets at Universal Orlando – complete guide
- Child Swap at Universal Orlando’s thrill rides
- Internet Access at Universal Orlando – complete guide
- Lockers at Universal Orlando – a complete, up-to-date guide
- MEN IN BLACK: Alien Attack – How to max out your score at 999,999
- My Universal Photos & ride photos at Universal Orlando – complete guide
- Phone Charging at Universal Orlando – complete guide
- Refillable cups, popcorn buckets, and Coke Freestyle at Universal Orlando – complete insider’s guide
- Shopping and merchandise at Universal Orlando – complete, up-to-date guide
- Visiting Universal Studios Florida with Kids – complete, up-to-date guide
- Visiting Universal’s Islands of Adventure with kids – a complete, up-to-date guide