• Announcements

• Taylor Strickland

(IMPORTANT) What's next for our community   03/24/2016

Today we're excited to announce the start of our new Facebook group: Universal Community by Orlando Informer. We're also announcing we're closing our forums. This is probably the hardest decision I've made so far with Orlando Informer. This week marks the 2nd anniversary of our forums. Monday will mark 2 years from when I first applied to work with Orlando Informer. I was entering a pool of over 50 applicants, didn't meet the requirements, and didn't think the odds were very high that I'd get the position of Forum Moderator. It never even crossed my mind that not only would I get the position, but that position and these forums would be the start of being able to do what I love as a fulltime job. At its core, our forums have always had two goals: A ) Help families receive specific answers to specific questions, feedback from folks who have been in their shoes, and help them maximize their investment into their vacation. B ) Build a community of people who love to visit Universal, with a foundation of respect and tolerance. I can speak for our entire team on our forums (both past and present), especially our Community Manager @Chuck Plagmann, when I say that we have devoted hours of time every day of the year working towards these two goals. We feel that we've made major strides towards both of our goals, but see the opportunity to help a significantly greater amount of people plan their vacation and add on to our established (and amazing) community. Unfortunately, as time goes on, forums like ours have a tendency to slow down and be replaced by social media. It's the cycle of life for forums. We believe that this Facebook group is the logical next step for our community. Our forums and the content within will remain browseable for the foreseeable future, however you will not be able to submit new content. Our Facebook group, Universal Community by Orlando Informer, will be curated by our same team that ran the OI Forums. @Chuck Plagmann and I will be on the group daily to provide insight and help families plan their vacation. @debi will be monitoring for any Special Needs questions. Our (very talented) authors, like @Marc N. Kleinhenz, will be on the group to talk about their latest articles and your feedback. Finally, @Park Beast will even be dropping by from time to time to talk about our weekly podcast. You can access our Facebook group by searching "Universal Community by Orlando Informer" or visiting UOR.community from any webbrowser. We know this is a substantial change from our forums, but are hopeful you'll be willing to give it a shot. Additionally, we're launching a Facebook group for Universal Hollywood: "Universal Community by California Informer" or visit USH.community. This is the end of the forums, but it is just the beginning of our community. One thing we consistently hear from members of our forums is how different our community is from some of the others found online. We are committed to maintaining this reputation in our Facebook group. I have met a countless number of people, many I call friends, from our OI Forums. I know real bonds (and even relationships) have resulted from the time spent on these forums. I'm looking forward to seeing these bonds develop and new ones form on our new outlet. Please know that this decision was not made lightly or without considering the amount of time many of you have spent on here. I fully believe this is the next step forward to growing our community and helping as many people as possible have the best trip to Universal. I'm looking forward to interacting with everyone for many years to come. As always, please don't hesitate to reach out with feedback -- taylor [at] orlandoinformer.com See you on the Facebook Group, Taylor P.S., Unlimited likes on Facebook, you can thank me in advance.
Irishprces

Toothsome Chocolate Factory

42 posts in this topic

I'm quite the opposite to the norm I think. As this doesn't excite me in the slightest, but I'm sure it will be very popular. I find the overall design and theme to look pretty bad, would even say exterior concept looks quite an eye sore on CityWalk. Also not a fan of savoury food being mixed with chocolate. Like a Steak with chocolate glaze. I had it before at a restaurant and was awful, hope it's done better here.

By way it says "this year", I hope it's open for HHN. Fingers crossed it proves me wrong! I hope it does!

Won't pass proper judgment until tried food, as that is more important than concept or design. As I'm sure could be amazing! :)

Edited by MattLynch91
rosie16, Chuck Plagmann and HPTR like this

Looks great!  The design is really good, the whimsy fits right in with IOA!  I too was, disturbed by the WWE rumor, it smacked of synergy and seemed to fit in with the wrestlemania announcement .  This on the other hands looks fun and inviting for all! 

2 hours ago, MattLynch91 said:

Also not a fan of savoury food being mixed with chocolate. Like a Steak with chocolate glaze.  

I'm with Matt on this but we definitely will go in and take a look see. If there are dark chocolate orange creams being sold, outta my way! 

Kris10 likes this

4 hours ago, Unknown said:

Looks like my original description was correct.

Any chance this is open by mid August?

I'm in the not feeling it camp too. I just don't get the idea of it at all.

I'm more interested in the revamp of the food court!

On 3/14/2016 at 11:17 AM, MattLynch91 said:

I'm quite the opposite to the norm I think. As this doesn't excite me in the slightest, but I'm sure it will be very popular.

19 hours ago, rosie16 said:

I'm in the not feeling it camp too. I just don't get the idea of it at all.

Yeah, DH just shook his head when I told him. Personally, I would have liked a really good BBQ pit with maybe offerings from all the regions most famous - Texas, Kansas City, Memphis, the Carolinas....

MattLynch91, rosie16 and Bern like this

As with just about anything Universal does - I'm excited about it. Then again, I get excited at Monster's Cafe....

P6110115.JPG

Edited by MyHeartIsInOrlando
debi, Future Boy and Kris10 like this

1 hour ago, debi said:

Yeah, DH just shook his head when I told him. Personally, I would have liked a really good BBQ pit with maybe offerings from all the regions most famous - Texas, Kansas City, Memphis, the Carolinas....

A BBQ/Smokehouse would have been amazing! :)

debi and Chuck Plagmann like this

I saw the announcement yesterday floating about the Internet. Pretty cool! The concept is interesting, if very ostentatious and campy, but I feel like it almost has to be, given the theme of the food.

I'm apparently on neither camp: Chocolate vs WWE. I've sworn off chocolate (ugh) since starting WW, minus the trip to Hershey, so I would not go to this restaurant. Likewise, Times Square had a WWE restaurant in the last 1990s/early 2000s and it was terrible. And I was a big WWE fan. 

I'm not sure what I would put in the NBA City slot, but I didn't imagine this. I appreciate the call for a smokehouse/BBQ pit, but that's so much smoke for a concentrated area that's RIGHT next to a roller coaster.

debi and Chuck Plagmann like this

Well I, for one, am VERY excited for this! I love chocolate and the photos look/descriptions sound fantastic!

I have nothing against the theming either. Looks pretty neat to me!

I definitely prefer this over a WWE venue, as I'm not a fan (my husband would have loved that though).

I look forward to visiting this place!

knoxmyers, Irishprces, debi and 3 others like this

Every media coverage of this compares it to Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory. Frankyl I don't see it. There are no Oompa Loompas. No awesome chocolate river steampunk boat ride. No Johnny Depp or Gene Wilder references or Fizzy Lifting Drink test lab! Most of all, no room you can lick the walls of for which to taste any delicious candy flavors!

OK. So every bit of that was a joke aside from the fact that I don't see the comparison lol

What I do see it in comparison of, is Cheesecake Factory. Except instead of cheesecake, it's chocolate.

On 3/14/2016 at 11:17 AM, MattLynch91 said:

I'm quite the opposite to the norm I think. As this doesn't excite me in the slightest, but I'm sure it will be very popular. I find the overall design and theme to look pretty bad, would even say exterior concept looks quite an eye sore on CityWalk. Also not a fan of savoury food being mixed with chocolate. Like a Steak with chocolate glaze. I had it before at a restaurant and was awful, hope it's done better here.

By way it says "this year", I hope it's open for HHN. Fingers crossed it proves me wrong! I hope it does!

Won't pass proper judgment until tried food, as that is more important than concept or design. As I'm sure could be amazing! :)

I'm personally all for the steampunk designs. I have a weakness for it whenever it's presented to me. Something about 19th century design and fashion and retrofuture influences. I think that for something different, even if it is yet another restaurant:rolleyes:, it stands out nicely. What I agree with entirely is that you never just go willy-nilly with covering every culinary thing in sight with chocolate. I've never been a big fan of steak but to me, glazing steak with chocolate sounds like overkill and honestly, un-appetizing.

What does intrigue me though, are those dessert options! Milkshakes topped with a slice of cake or pie? I'll need to hit the gym extra hard after eating them but that's what Cheat Day is for!

Chuck Plagmann and debi like this

On March 14, 2016 at 11:10 AM, Dan_Mol said:

It looks amazing from the Universal blog post. Unknown strikes again.

Thankful that wrestling one was wrong, that would have been a disaster.

I'm still not sure if I like it. I think that calling it a "chocolate factory" will lead a lot of guests to think that they only serve chocolate. 

Whatever, Universal will figure it out...

debi likes this

3 hours ago, Future Boy said:

I've never been a big fan of steak but to me, glazing steak with chocolate sounds like overkill and honestly, un-appetizing.

Actually I have a favorite Martha Stewart recipe I use when we can't use our grill for ribs (either out of gas or it's raining when we've chosen to make them). The rub actually contains cocoa! Along with smoked paprika, it really works to give the meat the flavor of smoked BBQ in the oven. I've used it on chicken wings to take to pot lucks and I don't bring any home.

Chuck Plagmann and Future Boy like this

Am I the only one that finds the word "Toothsome" somewhat annoying? 

Odd that the WWE rumor swept in right before this announcement. The last time I was at citiwalk we stopped in for a drink at Margaritaville and ended up at a table next to several well known wrestlers. What with their developmental show and training facilities just down the way in Winter Park, it makes sense for them to establish a presence in the themepark districts. 

It leads me to think a WWE facility is likely still going to happen, just not in this exact location.

debi likes this