• Announcements

• Taylor Strickland

(IMPORTANT) What's next for our community   03/24/2016

Today we're excited to announce the start of our new Facebook group: Universal Community by Orlando Informer. We're also announcing we're closing our forums. This is probably the hardest decision I've made so far with Orlando Informer. This week marks the 2nd anniversary of our forums. Monday will mark 2 years from when I first applied to work with Orlando Informer. I was entering a pool of over 50 applicants, didn't meet the requirements, and didn't think the odds were very high that I'd get the position of Forum Moderator. It never even crossed my mind that not only would I get the position, but that position and these forums would be the start of being able to do what I love as a fulltime job. At its core, our forums have always had two goals: A ) Help families receive specific answers to specific questions, feedback from folks who have been in their shoes, and help them maximize their investment into their vacation. B ) Build a community of people who love to visit Universal, with a foundation of respect and tolerance. I can speak for our entire team on our forums (both past and present), especially our Community Manager @Chuck Plagmann, when I say that we have devoted hours of time every day of the year working towards these two goals. We feel that we've made major strides towards both of our goals, but see the opportunity to help a significantly greater amount of people plan their vacation and add on to our established (and amazing) community. Unfortunately, as time goes on, forums like ours have a tendency to slow down and be replaced by social media. It's the cycle of life for forums. We believe that this Facebook group is the logical next step for our community. Our forums and the content within will remain browseable for the foreseeable future, however you will not be able to submit new content. Our Facebook group, Universal Community by Orlando Informer, will be curated by our same team that ran the OI Forums. @Chuck Plagmann and I will be on the group daily to provide insight and help families plan their vacation. @debi will be monitoring for any Special Needs questions. Our (very talented) authors, like @Marc N. Kleinhenz, will be on the group to talk about their latest articles and your feedback. Finally, @Park Beast will even be dropping by from time to time to talk about our weekly podcast. You can access our Facebook group by searching "Universal Community by Orlando Informer" or visiting UOR.community from any webbrowser. We know this is a substantial change from our forums, but are hopeful you'll be willing to give it a shot. Additionally, we're launching a Facebook group for Universal Hollywood: "Universal Community by California Informer" or visit USH.community. This is the end of the forums, but it is just the beginning of our community. One thing we consistently hear from members of our forums is how different our community is from some of the others found online. We are committed to maintaining this reputation in our Facebook group. I have met a countless number of people, many I call friends, from our OI Forums. I know real bonds (and even relationships) have resulted from the time spent on these forums. I'm looking forward to seeing these bonds develop and new ones form on our new outlet. Please know that this decision was not made lightly or without considering the amount of time many of you have spent on here. I fully believe this is the next step forward to growing our community and helping as many people as possible have the best trip to Universal. I'm looking forward to interacting with everyone for many years to come. As always, please don't hesitate to reach out with feedback -- taylor [at] orlandoinformer.com See you on the Facebook Group, Taylor P.S., Unlimited likes on Facebook, you can thank me in advance.
Bern

Walking Dead attraction

19 posts in this topic

I'd love to know the details of this as they come available, very envious that it is not going to be in Orlando. Saw the preview story boards on Talking Dead and am seething for a road trip. Looks like a scare zone HHN house set up?

Lainie, drmurcat, rosie16 and 2 others like this

My cousin stays in California and has invited us out to stay a few times.  I think now may be the time to take him up on his offer!!

debi, Bern and rosie16 like this

If this is anything like the HHN House they did last year, it should be pretty cool. 

I haven't seen the TD announcing it, but I watched the preview clip; thinking objectively, I don't know how successful a year-round maze will be. Considering HHN's success year after year, I get the motivation and not to down it, but I just don't see it being highly successful in the next few years unless they keep it updated with the show, which would mean continuous additions to the sets, possibly more animatronics, further actors being hired(but those are in high demand in the industry and certainly the L.A. area anyway lol. They could literally walk over to Waterworld and see if anyone wants to put sometime into theme park TWD or just walk outside and shout the words "HEY ACTORS!!")

What I hope from it: A stand-alone attraction that takes place within the timeline, but is separate while making references to what you've seen in the show. I wouldn't want it to follow the Grimes' and fam's footsteps entirely.

Edited by Future Boy
Bern and debi like this

I hope it is completely enclosed...no need for kids to see that all out and about alongside Hogsmeade and Minions. No offense Bern and Lainie! My 9 yr old keeps begging to watch it b/c older kids on the school bus have watched the show...we watched a couple episodes from the very first season to see what it was all about and um, no to him! 

rosie16 and debi like this

41 minutes ago, Future Boy said:

If this is anything like the HHN House they did last year, it should be pretty cool. 

I haven't seen the TD announcing it, but I watched the preview clip; thinking objectively, I don't know how successful a year-round maze will be. Considering HHN's success year after year, I get the motivation and not to down it, but I just don't see it being highly successful in the next few years unless they keep it updated with the show, which would mean continuous additions to the sets, possibly more animatronics, further actors being hired 

While I love the idea, I agree or it's going to get stale. I personally would love to see some kind of ride ( @Lainie :lol: ) . 

28 minutes ago, EchoPixie said:

I hope it is completely enclosed...no need for kids to see that all out and about alongside Hogsmeade and Minions. No offense Bern and Lainie! My 9 yr old keeps begging to watch it b/c older kids on the school bus have watched the show...we watched a couple episodes from the very first season to see what it was all about and um, no to him! 

I'm sure it will be. I've never been to USH but maybe on their next visit, either @Chuck Plagmann or @Future Boy can inform us once it's open. No offense taken, it's recommended for age 16 and up and even that says "iffy". My daughter doesn't watch any episodes without us watching it first and sometimes even then I will skip over parts. She has barely watched any of this season at all. Yes it's very graphic but also has other adult themes and often is very intense. Don't give in "just because". Every child is different and you know yours best, of course. 

Is there going to be an age limit on the attraction itself like HHN, 13 and up? 

Future Boy, debi, Kris10 and 2 others like this

@BernIt was just us watching to check it out after they went to bed and it is very graphic. Think we watched 4 over a couple nights but we didnt get that into it - too much gore for us...there's very little on TV or Netflix now to binge watch so it will prob come back around to us very soon...some parts were intriguing...

Bern, debi and rosie16 like this

5 hours ago, Bern said:

. I personally would love to see some kind of ride ( @Lainie :lol: ) . 

katy-perry-exaggerated-winking-gif.gif

:lol:

Bern likes this

I've just watched the announcement on Talking Dead. 

I'm not sure that I'm a 100% convinced about this - I don't know that it has long term viability.  Unless they change things up I don't see it having the 'repeatability' factor. 

I'm assuming that there will be strict age limits applied?  even so, I can still see someone somewhere complaining that little Johnny got scared etc etc.

A trip to Universal Studios Hollywood is sounding more and more appealing though.  Last year we sorta half heartedly looked at the logistics of doing a week at USH then 2 at USF.  Maybe time to revisit that one.

Future Boy, Kris10, HPTR and 1 other like this

@Lainie Maybe it's best to let them test it out in CA and see how it works, possibly if it does well it could be somethang that's opened in Orlando. 

I think if it's just basically a scare house, yeah that won't work unless it's changed up like Future Boy said. It's not the same as a ride so it would get old quickly. I say it should be a ride or some kind of survivalist thang where you have so much time to get out, help someone, see how many walkers you can "kill" etc. 

Lainie likes this

The used to have a horror location at USH.  It was torn down about a year or 2 ago.  It was a museum of horror props and make up, and then a walk through with several famous horror movie scenes.  They had a Pyscho room, zombie room, etc.  At the time,  I called it like having HHN all year round.  My younger daughter was 13 at the time, and she hid her eyes on my shoulder.

I think it could be cool.  I would prefer it be more horror generic, but WD sells, and maybe AMC is funding it.  When it is open I will check it out. 

Of course, my next trip to USH is for Hogsmeade there....

Bern likes this

@Chuck Plagmann Do either have a date? I thought WWoHP was April or is it later? I know for TWD they just said summer 2016. I'll be awaiting your review!

Edited by Bern
Chuck Plagmann likes this

1 minute ago, Bern said:

@Chuck Plagmann Do either have a date? I thought WWoHP was April or is it later? I know for TWD they just said summer 2016. I'll be awaiting your review!

WWoHP opening is scheduled for April 7.  I am sure we will have lots of info here from California Informer...

I don't know about TWD..

@HazelSnitch is going to USH soon to see WWoHP.  I am planning June or July.

Bern likes this

Maybe they can have the Walking Dead attraction at USH.... and leave it there?  No more WD at HHN?

A gal can dream.  :)

51 minutes ago, LooksLikeCRicci said:

Maybe they can have the Walking Dead attraction at USH.... and leave it there?  No more WD at HHN?

A gal can dream.  :)

You just can't kill a zombie, you can slow 'em down but they are gonna show up somewhere.

ATCBelgium and LooksLikeCRicci like this

I'm just going to say something I just thought of.

Lainie brought up a valid point of having a year-round scare. All I'm going to say is that while I'm not opposed to the idea, it is worth noting that people complaining about something and USH wanting to simply make everyone happy is why there isn't a Bill and Ted at USH anymore.

For the record, I understand that it was the material and we don't need to get into the particulars of it being "offensive" and that it "should have been understood/given" but the note is worthy. 

It's the most popular show on television, for now it's a smart idea. Whether it runs out of steam and tanks is something that will have to be dealt with later on. 

Future Boy likes this

Just now, Bern said:

It's the most popular show on television, for now it's a smart idea. Whether it runs out of steam and tanks is something that will have to be dealt with later on. 

I hope to god there's a tank.

And a Governor.

And his daughter/niece.

And a one-eyed Carl.

Kris10 and Lainie like this

4 minutes ago, Future Boy said:

And his daughter

Freakiest part of the program since day one. She should definitely be there. :D 

Future Boy likes this

I'm intrigued by this, although I'm also curious about the "lastability" of such an attraction. I'm sure Universal Creative is thinking about this and I hope they come up with some clever ideas. 

Anyway, I would consider taking a trip to Cali to check this out once it opened. In some ways California is easier for us to visit than Orlando because it's closer but... let's face it, I know where my heart lies.