• Announcements

• Taylor Strickland

(IMPORTANT) What's next for our community   03/24/2016

Today we're excited to announce the start of our new Facebook group: Universal Community by Orlando Informer. We're also announcing we're closing our forums. This is probably the hardest decision I've made so far with Orlando Informer. This week marks the 2nd anniversary of our forums. Monday will mark 2 years from when I first applied to work with Orlando Informer. I was entering a pool of over 50 applicants, didn't meet the requirements, and didn't think the odds were very high that I'd get the position of Forum Moderator. It never even crossed my mind that not only would I get the position, but that position and these forums would be the start of being able to do what I love as a fulltime job. At its core, our forums have always had two goals: A ) Help families receive specific answers to specific questions, feedback from folks who have been in their shoes, and help them maximize their investment into their vacation. B ) Build a community of people who love to visit Universal, with a foundation of respect and tolerance. I can speak for our entire team on our forums (both past and present), especially our Community Manager @Chuck Plagmann, when I say that we have devoted hours of time every day of the year working towards these two goals. We feel that we've made major strides towards both of our goals, but see the opportunity to help a significantly greater amount of people plan their vacation and add on to our established (and amazing) community. Unfortunately, as time goes on, forums like ours have a tendency to slow down and be replaced by social media. It's the cycle of life for forums. We believe that this Facebook group is the logical next step for our community. Our forums and the content within will remain browseable for the foreseeable future, however you will not be able to submit new content. Our Facebook group, Universal Community by Orlando Informer, will be curated by our same team that ran the OI Forums. @Chuck Plagmann and I will be on the group daily to provide insight and help families plan their vacation. @debi will be monitoring for any Special Needs questions. Our (very talented) authors, like @Marc N. Kleinhenz, will be on the group to talk about their latest articles and your feedback. Finally, @Park Beast will even be dropping by from time to time to talk about our weekly podcast. You can access our Facebook group by searching "Universal Community by Orlando Informer" or visiting UOR.community from any webbrowser. We know this is a substantial change from our forums, but are hopeful you'll be willing to give it a shot. Additionally, we're launching a Facebook group for Universal Hollywood: "Universal Community by California Informer" or visit USH.community. This is the end of the forums, but it is just the beginning of our community. One thing we consistently hear from members of our forums is how different our community is from some of the others found online. We are committed to maintaining this reputation in our Facebook group. I have met a countless number of people, many I call friends, from our OI Forums. I know real bonds (and even relationships) have resulted from the time spent on these forums. I'm looking forward to seeing these bonds develop and new ones form on our new outlet. Please know that this decision was not made lightly or without considering the amount of time many of you have spent on here. I fully believe this is the next step forward to growing our community and helping as many people as possible have the best trip to Universal. I'm looking forward to interacting with everyone for many years to come. As always, please don't hesitate to reach out with feedback -- taylor [at] orlandoinformer.com See you on the Facebook Group, Taylor P.S., Unlimited likes on Facebook, you can thank me in advance.
Kathkat

troubleshooting required with new site

88 posts in this topic

Hello Powers that Be, 

In this new site, I am having great difficulty in changing from one page to previous pages.  At one point I discovered that if I used the PREV button, it worked well, but that stopped working as well and the pages just goes back to the initial heading/topic and says "loading" forever.  Very frustrating.  Anybody else experiencing this?  Is it in the process of being fixed?  Thanks,

maggiem89 likes this

I had the loading icon for a long time while going to the next page yesterday.

For going back to the topic list I've been using the back button on Internet explorer.

maggiem89 likes this

I have had this same issue. When I click on the last page in a thread (from main forum page) then try to go back one page (in the thread) it will not load. 

I've had problems adding links to a selection of words. Just isn't taking effect after clicking "insert into post". Doesn't happen all the time, but when it does I just use Word, type and add what I want there then copy and paste - that seems to work just fine. I check the links before I post, since we don't have the option to preview our posts now. Using Foxfire browser.

I have had this same issue. When I click on the last page in a thread (from main forum page) then try to go back one page (in the thread) it will not load. 

Yes, you've described the problem I'm having, exactly.  Thanks:)  So frustrating

maggiem89 likes this

Hello Powers that Be,

In this new site, I am having great difficulty in changing from one page to previous pages.  At one point I discovered that if I used the PREV button, it worked well, but that stopped working as well and the pages just goes back to the initial heading/topic and says "loading" forever.  Very frustrating.  Anybody else experiencing this?  Is it in the process of being fixed?  Thanks,

I get this issue also when moving between pages it just says "loading". As a temp fix, I press refresh on my browser and it loads the new page.

Edit - It's not every time I move pages, it's intermittent.

Edited by MattLynch91
rosie16 likes this

Since we don't have the option to preview our posts now.

That's a bigger miss than I expected.

Another unrelated question, but when quoting has it always quoted all the past quotes with it?

Not sure if the previous site did, but I don't think it did. As now I just delete the other quotes and leave one I wanted.

Thanks

debi likes this

Another unrelated question, but when quoting has it always quoted all the past quotes with it?

Not sure if the previous site did, but I don't think it did. As now I just delete the other quotes and leave one I wanted.

Thanks

Yeah, I noticed that, too. I think it used to be just the newer message that was copied into your new post. If you don't want it all, highlight and delete it before answering the only quote you want. I delete photos, gifs and videos when I quote someone's post, especially if those aren't needed in the reply.

Since we don't have the option to preview our posts now.

That's a bigger miss than I expected.

Thanks

Yeah, I noticed that, too. I think it used to be just the newer message that was copied into your new post. If you don't want it all, highlight and delete it before answering the only quote you want. I delete photos, gifs and videos when I quote someone's post, especially if those aren't needed in the reply.

Yes to all of these. The quote bracket is a bit different and taking a wee bit of finagling. I do miss the preview, though; I suppose more edits will just correct posts issues. I think it's good to delete all of the media as well @debi

debi and MattLynch91 like this

Am I the only one not getting notifications when someone posts in a forum I am following? I get some here and there, but when I don't get any for a while I'm thinking wow has no one posted anything, so I go look and there are new posts.

debi likes this

Am I the only one not getting notifications when someone posts in a forum I am following? I get some here and there, but when I don't get any for a while I'm thinking wow has no one posted anything, so I go look and there are new posts.

Yep, same for me.

New difficulty -

I'm at 94% capacity in the Messenger option and would like to weed out the older conversations to allow more space for those wishing private SNAU questions and answers. How, exactly, can I do that? In the old system you could delete individual conversations; the only option now seems to be delete ALL conversations and I don't wish to do that....

Chuck Plagmann and POTTERLUVA like this

New difficulty -

I'm at 94% capacity in the Messenger option and would like to weed out the older conversations to allow more space for those wishing private SNAU questions and answers. How, exactly, can I do that? In the old system you could delete individual conversations; the only option now seems to be delete ALL conversations and I don't wish to do that....

Select the message you want to delete, press message, and then press "leave conversation."

debi and Chuck Plagmann like this

Select the message you want to delete, press message, and then press "leave conversation."

Duh. Thanks. :blink:

I'm having some trouble tagging people with some of my posts--the @ and name are added correctly but even if adding in the whole name, it doesn't always come up.

Also what is the default font for the forum? I've noticed at times when I copy and paste that the remainder of my post is completed in the font of the pasted text. I'm not sure which font to use to try to change it.  

Thanks in advance !

I'm having some trouble tagging people with some of my posts--the @ and name are added correctly but even if adding in the whole name, it doesn't always come up.

Also what is the default font for the forum? I've noticed at times when I copy and paste that the remainder of my post is completed in the font of the pasted text. I'm not sure which font to use to try to change it.  

Thanks in advance !

The default font should be Helvetica Neue.

I think the tagging is a known issue that should be fixed before too long.

Thanks!

Bern likes this

Thanks in advance !

Thanks!

Thanks Taylor. The font is not listed under the drop down though? I try to go back and change it so the difference between the original text and the pasted is obvious. I can always add pasted text after the original.

Regarding the multiple conversations that come along with quotes.......I have been deleting the conversation, then hitting backspace to delete the conversation box......it's a lot of work, but it helps the confusion....@Taylor Strickland any easier remedy coming for this issue?

Edited by POTTERLUVA
debi, MattLynch91 and HPTR like this

Regarding the multiple conversations that come along with quotes.......I have been deleting the conversation, then hitting backspace to delete the conversation box......it's a lot of work, but it helps the confusion....@Taylor Strickland any easier remedy coming for this issue?

I've been closing the quote boxes before I hit the multiple quote button and deleting in my reply but it hasn't always helped. It's confusing as heck if you quote a quote within a quote within a quote. :wacko: By then I'm just using the new tagging option and adding in my reply there. Just my two cents, if I may add it. 

HPTR and POTTERLUVA like this

I've been closing the quote boxes before I hit the multiple quote button and deleting in my reply but it hasn't always helped. It's confusing as heck if you quote a quote within a quote within a quote. :wacko: By then I'm just using the new tagging option and adding in my reply there. Just my two cents, if I may add it. 

I agree.....I liked the way the old version handled it.....it wouldn't be so bad if there was an easier way to edit it

MattLynch91, debi, Bern and 1 other like this

Thanks!

Hey Taylor.  It didn't happen just now when quoting you, but last night and this morning, when I've tried to quote posters, the nesting happens.  And sometimes, it is nesting quotes from posts not even in the cue.  I'm so bummed out because it has stopped me from posting.  Really weird.  And it didn't happen just now.  Even weirder. 

Also, my tagging doesn't work consistently.  Any advice on these?

Thanks

debi likes this