• Announcements

• Taylor Strickland

(IMPORTANT) What's next for our community   03/24/2016

Today we're excited to announce the start of our new Facebook group: Universal Community by Orlando Informer. We're also announcing we're closing our forums. This is probably the hardest decision I've made so far with Orlando Informer. This week marks the 2nd anniversary of our forums. Monday will mark 2 years from when I first applied to work with Orlando Informer. I was entering a pool of over 50 applicants, didn't meet the requirements, and didn't think the odds were very high that I'd get the position of Forum Moderator. It never even crossed my mind that not only would I get the position, but that position and these forums would be the start of being able to do what I love as a fulltime job. At its core, our forums have always had two goals: A ) Help families receive specific answers to specific questions, feedback from folks who have been in their shoes, and help them maximize their investment into their vacation. B ) Build a community of people who love to visit Universal, with a foundation of respect and tolerance. I can speak for our entire team on our forums (both past and present), especially our Community Manager @Chuck Plagmann, when I say that we have devoted hours of time every day of the year working towards these two goals. We feel that we've made major strides towards both of our goals, but see the opportunity to help a significantly greater amount of people plan their vacation and add on to our established (and amazing) community. Unfortunately, as time goes on, forums like ours have a tendency to slow down and be replaced by social media. It's the cycle of life for forums. We believe that this Facebook group is the logical next step for our community. Our forums and the content within will remain browseable for the foreseeable future, however you will not be able to submit new content. Our Facebook group, Universal Community by Orlando Informer, will be curated by our same team that ran the OI Forums. @Chuck Plagmann and I will be on the group daily to provide insight and help families plan their vacation. @debi will be monitoring for any Special Needs questions. Our (very talented) authors, like @Marc N. Kleinhenz, will be on the group to talk about their latest articles and your feedback. Finally, @Park Beast will even be dropping by from time to time to talk about our weekly podcast. You can access our Facebook group by searching "Universal Community by Orlando Informer" or visiting UOR.community from any webbrowser. We know this is a substantial change from our forums, but are hopeful you'll be willing to give it a shot. Additionally, we're launching a Facebook group for Universal Hollywood: "Universal Community by California Informer" or visit USH.community. This is the end of the forums, but it is just the beginning of our community. One thing we consistently hear from members of our forums is how different our community is from some of the others found online. We are committed to maintaining this reputation in our Facebook group. I have met a countless number of people, many I call friends, from our OI Forums. I know real bonds (and even relationships) have resulted from the time spent on these forums. I'm looking forward to seeing these bonds develop and new ones form on our new outlet. Please know that this decision was not made lightly or without considering the amount of time many of you have spent on here. I fully believe this is the next step forward to growing our community and helping as many people as possible have the best trip to Universal. I'm looking forward to interacting with everyone for many years to come. As always, please don't hesitate to reach out with feedback -- taylor [at] orlandoinformer.com See you on the Facebook Group, Taylor P.S., Unlimited likes on Facebook, you can thank me in advance.
Lokicdn

Wet n Wild Closing Dec. 31, 2016

20 posts in this topic

From their Twitter page.

After almost 40 years, Wet ‘n Wild Orlando will be permanently closing on December 31, 2016. Check out the... http://fb.me/44eJpzvA5

I saw this too.  I wondered if this would be happening.  Who needs old run down Wet 'n Wild when they have Volcano Bay coming?

Guess the inevitable was coming sooner or later.

Makes me wonder if Volcano Bay will take some of their existing rides (and touch them up with a Uni spin of course) as Wet N Wild closes before VB opens? I certainly wouldn't bet against it, otherwise you'd think they're throwing money down the drain!

I know Wet N Wild's day has been and gone but it is still a fun park and it does what it needs to, I know many people are glad to see it go but I'm glad I'll get to go there one last time this year.

Maybe space for another hotel.....

I'm with you on this Chuck, can't see anything but a hotel. Certainly if Uni are trying to compete with Disney on this front.

Chuck Plagmann and MattLynch91 like this

Never been to Wet n' Wild. Makes me wonder if I should go before it closes.

Never been to Wet n' Wild. Makes me wonder if I should go before it closes.

Nope. There are better Orlando water parks.

HPTR likes this

Wet n Wild is just something we drive past on the way to Florida Mall!

Me to.  But I have seen it really really full of people queued up for the slides.

rosie16 likes this

Never been there.  The website makes it look pretty fun-- is it worth it? 

Obviously, I think the edge would go to the Disney water parks.  That being said, The Husband and I have been fans of "off the main grid" places for years.  W&W looks like it could be lots of fun, potentially.

Lokicdn likes this

Never been there.  The website makes it look pretty fun-- is it worth it? 

Obviously, I think the edge would go to the Disney water parks.  That being said, The Husband and I have been fans of "off the main grid" places for years.  W&W looks like it could be lots of fun, potentially.

I enjoy Wet n Wild.  It's a little run down but everything works and is safe.  I find it is really well laid out and the rides are fun.

Guess the inevitable was coming sooner or later.

Makes me wonder if Volcano Bay will take some of their existing rides (and touch them up with a Uni spin of course) as Wet N Wild closes before VB opens? I certainly wouldn't bet against it, otherwise you'd think they're throwing money down the drain!

I know Wet N Wild's day has been and gone but it is still a fun park and it does what it needs to, I know many people are glad to see it go but I'm glad I'll get to go there one last time this year.

I'm with you on this Chuck, can't see anything but a hotel. Certainly if Uni are trying to compete with Disney on this front.

My money would be on no. They'll sell them to someone else most likley

Wet n Wild is just something we drive past on the way to Florida Mall!

Yep us too!

rosie16 likes this

Went to Wet & Wild once and absolutely hated it!

Far too concretey and plastic for my liking! It was awful!

I think Chuck's idea on another hotel is a good shout!

Edited by MattLynch91

Ive never been to Wet n Wild - the very thought of it fills me with total horror!!!

We went to Wet n Wild for the first time last year........we went because the boys wanted to try Bomb Bay..........we went late in the season and wouldn't you know it was closed along with the lazy river.

We enjoyed it.....thought it was better than Disney's Typhoon Lagoon as far as slides are concerned............our ultimate favorite is Aquatica.........we love the Roa's Rapids.......and now they have a slide like Bomb Bay called Break Away Falls........we are going back this year to try it out.

We all new this was coming because of VB........can't wait to try it out.

Sad to read this today but suspected it would be closing with the Volcano Bay announcement. We love Wet'n'Wild and Aquatica - not been to either of the Disney Water Parks. Going twice in September and again next Setp/Oct before it closes.

It's got some of the best 2 person slides - Brain Wash and Disco H2O being our favourites - and we love the Tikki cocktail bar - but it is certainly more out-dated and tired than Aquatica and since they built the Wahau Breakaway Falls that's been my favourite of the 2.

We'll be visiting Wet N Wild one last time this year. As for the other parks - the theming is far better at Aquatica, Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach (they are all much shinier than WnW which is a bit of a concrete playground), but if you just want the rides then I still think WnW has the best overall collection of rides out of the 4 parks. If you haven't been before then I suggest a visit sometime between now and closing.

best waterparks are schliterbahn parks.  We try to get to the Galveston one once a year.  The best part of their parks is that you are welcome to bring in picnic coolers.  I love that I can pack fresh fruit and sandwiches for the day.  They have free parking, free inner tubes, and tons of covered seating areas.   They kinda spoiled me for any other waterparks.

Wet N Wild is honestly my favorite water park in the area. They have the most to do in it, the most variety and honestly, nothing compares to the Brainwash for me. It's by far the best ride I've experienced in any of the 4 waterparks. Do you know you're in a water park while you're there? Yea. It's painfully clear you're in a park with a bunch of water rides but honestly, are you paying the $60(unless it's a weekday at Aquatica or a half day ticket at WnW) and going to a water park for more of a "themed" idea or are you going to experience some awesome rides? Not to mention, they have the tiki bar and a great kids' area. Disney's waterparks don't even compare to me unless we're talking wave pool. Typhoon's got that covered with a ship on a mountain but that's where it starts and ends for me. Everything else, attraction-wise is more than covered in Wet N Wild. 

WnW also holds sentimental value for me as that was the first place the girlfriend and I went together. What I'm hoping they do is toss a little more competition at Disney and do a little re-theming to WnW. Selling off such a good spot would be a terrible idea, especially with Comcast's backing financially. Hotel-wise, not to say they're necessarily "good" but they're fine for now. I see more value, personally, in that land being an attraction rather than a hotel.

SBGla likes this

Wow i thought WnW sucked.

Having to pay for shade annoyed me esp in Aug.

i got a more of a full package feel from other packs WnW just looked unfinished

yes it has slides... err but thats it