• Announcements

• Taylor Strickland

(IMPORTANT) What's next for our community   03/24/2016

Today we're excited to announce the start of our new Facebook group: Universal Community by Orlando Informer. We're also announcing we're closing our forums. This is probably the hardest decision I've made so far with Orlando Informer. This week marks the 2nd anniversary of our forums. Monday will mark 2 years from when I first applied to work with Orlando Informer. I was entering a pool of over 50 applicants, didn't meet the requirements, and didn't think the odds were very high that I'd get the position of Forum Moderator. It never even crossed my mind that not only would I get the position, but that position and these forums would be the start of being able to do what I love as a fulltime job. At its core, our forums have always had two goals: A ) Help families receive specific answers to specific questions, feedback from folks who have been in their shoes, and help them maximize their investment into their vacation. B ) Build a community of people who love to visit Universal, with a foundation of respect and tolerance. I can speak for our entire team on our forums (both past and present), especially our Community Manager @Chuck Plagmann, when I say that we have devoted hours of time every day of the year working towards these two goals. We feel that we've made major strides towards both of our goals, but see the opportunity to help a significantly greater amount of people plan their vacation and add on to our established (and amazing) community. Unfortunately, as time goes on, forums like ours have a tendency to slow down and be replaced by social media. It's the cycle of life for forums. We believe that this Facebook group is the logical next step for our community. Our forums and the content within will remain browseable for the foreseeable future, however you will not be able to submit new content. Our Facebook group, Universal Community by Orlando Informer, will be curated by our same team that ran the OI Forums. @Chuck Plagmann and I will be on the group daily to provide insight and help families plan their vacation. @debi will be monitoring for any Special Needs questions. Our (very talented) authors, like @Marc N. Kleinhenz, will be on the group to talk about their latest articles and your feedback. Finally, @Park Beast will even be dropping by from time to time to talk about our weekly podcast. You can access our Facebook group by searching "Universal Community by Orlando Informer" or visiting UOR.community from any webbrowser. We know this is a substantial change from our forums, but are hopeful you'll be willing to give it a shot. Additionally, we're launching a Facebook group for Universal Hollywood: "Universal Community by California Informer" or visit USH.community. This is the end of the forums, but it is just the beginning of our community. One thing we consistently hear from members of our forums is how different our community is from some of the others found online. We are committed to maintaining this reputation in our Facebook group. I have met a countless number of people, many I call friends, from our OI Forums. I know real bonds (and even relationships) have resulted from the time spent on these forums. I'm looking forward to seeing these bonds develop and new ones form on our new outlet. Please know that this decision was not made lightly or without considering the amount of time many of you have spent on here. I fully believe this is the next step forward to growing our community and helping as many people as possible have the best trip to Universal. I'm looking forward to interacting with everyone for many years to come. As always, please don't hesitate to reach out with feedback -- taylor [at] orlandoinformer.com See you on the Facebook Group, Taylor P.S., Unlimited likes on Facebook, you can thank me in advance.
Taylor Strickland

Volcano Bay first details

176 posts in this topic

It's happening!

After literally several years of leaked trademarks and repeated rumors, Universal has today made it official: Volcano Bay, its very first built-from-the-ground-up “water theme park,” is coming.

Although confirmed details are, as of right now, scant, the company did tip its hand in several important ways in its press release today. Here’s everything we know so far:

Posted Image

Premise
Universal is promising that Volcano Bay will “be a place for the entire family” and that it will “be a whole new generation of experience that reimagines what it means to be a water park.”

Here’s a quote from this morning’s announcement:

Imagine a place that offers radically innovative, thrilling attractions, peaceful moments of relaxation, and an inspired guest experience that will forever change the perception of water theme parks. It will be set in a highly themed, completely immersive environment inspired by postcard-perfect tropical islands, formed by a massive volcano. And it will be the kind of special place that only the Universal team – the same team that has changed the face of Universal Orlando Resort in recent years – can envision and create.

Opening
Only a vague “2017” was given, though May – the usual target month for new attraction openings – is probably the date Universal has in mind.

Keep your eyes peeled for some exclusive analysis in the coming days regarding this and all the other great announcements (King Kong! Nintendo!) that have recently been made.

In the meantime, leave your responses to the exciting news below and be sure to check out all our other in-depth coverage on Volcano Bay:

Is Universal building the best water park in the world?

The 3 big things that Volcano Bay must deliver

The best water park in Orlando (for now)

{parse block="square_ad"}

Click here to view the article
Agent J and Narcissa like this

I hope its included  for passholders and I hope its themed and not just a bunch of random slides.

That area in the article "South of CBBR" seems so far away from the rest of the resort.  Great for folks staying there or at the 5th hotel site (RPR expansion?), but not so great for just about everyone else, imo. 

I wonder if it will take the place of Wet-n-Wild or be a second park? I hope it will be included in the par to park tickets.

For it to be a success it needs to be walkable from the entrance to the parks and the on-site hotels.

Otherwise, just upgrade Wet n Wild, in my experience W&W doesn't get that choca anyway.

Surely they would just be competing with themselves for a market that maybe does not have the capacity.

Although, I do expect all the Universal Analysts to have weighed this up, and have worked out it is feasible market growth.

For it to be a success it needs to be walkable from the entrance to the parks and the on-site hotels.

Otherwise, just upgrade Wet n Wild, in my experience W&W doesn't get that choca anyway.

Surely they would just be competing with themselves for a market that maybe does not have the capacity.

Although, I do expect all the Universal Analysts to have weighed this up, and have worked out it is feasible market growth.

Don't forget there is also a rumor floating around that they might be building a monorail.  And good waterparks are extremely popular in North America.  They wouldn't have a lot of problems filling it especially if it shows the same innovation that they have with all their newest E tickets.

If you look at the resort that is all but impossible to do. Unless they build it floating above city walk lol. I think building it a short distance away will be fine as long as it is the best themed water park. And I am sure it will be.

I think it will go on the land k mart sits on for the record.

If you look at the resort that is all but impossible to do. Unless they build it floating above city walk lol. I think building it a short distance away will be fine as long as it is the best themed water park. And I am sure it will be.

I think it will go on the land k mart sits on for the record.

Do they already own that land, Lord of Doom?

FandomMama likes this

Do they already own that land, Lord of Doom?

Last i heard they did.
Lokicdn likes this

I like the idea of a "Volcano Bay" it sounds like something they'd be able to use a large and different color palette for.  Sorta of the opposite of Blizzard Beach.

Universal Bob likes this

So I am also going to say I think the name is going to volcano bay.

I like the idea of another themed water park. If Universal can pull off something even close to what they've been doing over the past five years, then it could easily become the top water theme park in the area in a short period of time.

I like the idea of a "Volcano Bay" it sounds like something they'd be able to use a large and different color palette for.  Sorta of the opposite of Blizzard Beach.

Maybe have the volcano be called Mt. Doom and have a Lord of the Rings water park!!!!     (I'm reaching for straws here....lol)

Lokicdn likes this

The only major problem I can see with this is that I'd have to learn to swim.

nah i'll send you some floats and JMach can save you in the event of drowning

BangBang!! likes this

Time to really start get the ball rolling on this. It is happening, rights are secured, parts are being manufactured.

What do you think of the talk that this water park will be more of a hybrid between a theme park and water park, Unknown?

What do you think of the talk that this water park will be more of a hybrid between a theme park and water park, Unknown?

I think it is very accurate. Universal is always trying to one up itself, and this is not going to be any different.

Erika likes this

I think it is very accurate. Universal is always trying to one up itself, and this is not going to be any different.

Cool! A hybrid waterpark / theme park sounds really interesting, especially for those who may have members of their parties who aren't really into water slides, it will give them something else to do. 2016? 2017? Later?

Unknown likes this

Cool! A hybrid waterpark / theme park sounds really interesting, especially for those who may have members of their parties who aren't really into water slides, it will give them something else to do. 2016? 2017? Later?

I'm think 2019 for an entire new park. The wait will be totally worth it though!

It's definitely time for an update as to what this water park is, and how it will work. Thought I would clarify details for everyone about this "rumored?" water park. 

First off, the water park is defiantly happening. It will be as Taylor said, a "Hybrid Park" featuring massive E-tickets that I'm surprised by, and record breaking rides. All of the rides will feature water, and you will get wet. Transportation won't be a problem, as Sapphire Falls will include a massive Parking Garage which will double as parking for Wondersea Island. Just like Universal has the Globe, Islands has the lighthouse, Wondersea will have a 200ft tall Volcano! This will be seen from everywhere, and I can't wait to see it in person. 

I've attached a map below to point out a few of the things I just talked about.

In yellow is the parking garage I mentioned. Green is the entire plot that will be used for this park. In blue is a new road that will be constructed in order to enter the park, which the entrance to the park is in red. 

Screen_Shot_2015_01_27_at_11_50_14_AM.pn

Sorry this isn't much info, but over time more will be posted.

Edited by Unknown