• Announcements

• Taylor Strickland

(IMPORTANT) What's next for our community   03/24/2016

Today we're excited to announce the start of our new Facebook group: Universal Community by Orlando Informer. We're also announcing we're closing our forums. This is probably the hardest decision I've made so far with Orlando Informer. This week marks the 2nd anniversary of our forums. Monday will mark 2 years from when I first applied to work with Orlando Informer. I was entering a pool of over 50 applicants, didn't meet the requirements, and didn't think the odds were very high that I'd get the position of Forum Moderator. It never even crossed my mind that not only would I get the position, but that position and these forums would be the start of being able to do what I love as a fulltime job. At its core, our forums have always had two goals: A ) Help families receive specific answers to specific questions, feedback from folks who have been in their shoes, and help them maximize their investment into their vacation. B ) Build a community of people who love to visit Universal, with a foundation of respect and tolerance. I can speak for our entire team on our forums (both past and present), especially our Community Manager @Chuck Plagmann, when I say that we have devoted hours of time every day of the year working towards these two goals. We feel that we've made major strides towards both of our goals, but see the opportunity to help a significantly greater amount of people plan their vacation and add on to our established (and amazing) community. Unfortunately, as time goes on, forums like ours have a tendency to slow down and be replaced by social media. It's the cycle of life for forums. We believe that this Facebook group is the logical next step for our community. Our forums and the content within will remain browseable for the foreseeable future, however you will not be able to submit new content. Our Facebook group, Universal Community by Orlando Informer, will be curated by our same team that ran the OI Forums. @Chuck Plagmann and I will be on the group daily to provide insight and help families plan their vacation. @debi will be monitoring for any Special Needs questions. Our (very talented) authors, like @Marc N. Kleinhenz, will be on the group to talk about their latest articles and your feedback. Finally, @Park Beast will even be dropping by from time to time to talk about our weekly podcast. You can access our Facebook group by searching "Universal Community by Orlando Informer" or visiting UOR.community from any webbrowser. We know this is a substantial change from our forums, but are hopeful you'll be willing to give it a shot. Additionally, we're launching a Facebook group for Universal Hollywood: "Universal Community by California Informer" or visit USH.community. This is the end of the forums, but it is just the beginning of our community. One thing we consistently hear from members of our forums is how different our community is from some of the others found online. We are committed to maintaining this reputation in our Facebook group. I have met a countless number of people, many I call friends, from our OI Forums. I know real bonds (and even relationships) have resulted from the time spent on these forums. I'm looking forward to seeing these bonds develop and new ones form on our new outlet. Please know that this decision was not made lightly or without considering the amount of time many of you have spent on here. I fully believe this is the next step forward to growing our community and helping as many people as possible have the best trip to Universal. I'm looking forward to interacting with everyone for many years to come. As always, please don't hesitate to reach out with feedback -- taylor [at] orlandoinformer.com See you on the Facebook Group, Taylor P.S., Unlimited likes on Facebook, you can thank me in advance.
tonyarmijo

Best places to live in Central Florida?

93 posts in this topic

Well, bartending at Universal, particularly City Walk would have certain privileges that would make upholding those requirements a bit, shall we say, difficult lol. 

Something like CityWalk would actually make a good homebase for a group. It's already fenced off, you'd just have to reinforce it. It wouldn't be too large to keep track of either, like Magic Kingdom would be.

I could completely keep going on both of these topics but dear we are venturing into too much OT waters. . .  :lol:

Future Boy likes this

I could completely keep going on both of these topics but dear we are venturing into too much OT waters. . .  :lol:

They're not entirely OT! lol  I mean, we are talking about Orlando, FL still. Which is a place to live and apparently considered one of the top places to retire/relocate. I found one of those articles talking about that. 

I still can't believe it.

Bern likes this

They're not entirely OT! lol  I mean, we are talking about Orlando, FL still. Which is a place to live and apparently considered one of the top places to retire/relocate. I found one of those articles talking about that. 

I still can't believe it.

Great, does that mean we can keep going because I have continuing thoughts on both subjects.  :lol:

I don't know where the article was posted but it was from MSN, which is pretty cruddy so who knows how much of it was factual. One day they can be saying "retire here, top ten in the US!" and the next day it'll be in the worst places to live in the US. They're journalism is shoddy at best. 

The retirement book, apparently this guy is a supposed expert but I didn't find much in it--I was looking for NC but still, the Florida bits I read, it made the west/Gulf side sound pretty nice. It was mostly Florida with California coming in second, probably just due to the size because that's one of the last places I'd want to retire. 

Future Boy likes this

Great, does that mean we can keep going because I have continuing thoughts on both subjects.  :lol:

I don't know where the article was posted but it was from MSN, which is pretty cruddy so who knows how much of it was factual. One day they can be saying "retire here, top ten in the US!" and the next day it'll be in the worst places to live in the US. They're journalism is shoddy at best. 

The retirement book, apparently this guy is a supposed expert but I didn't find much in it--I was looking for NC but still, the Florida bits I read, it made the west/Gulf side sound pretty nice. It was mostly Florida with California coming in second, probably just due to the size because that's one of the last places I'd want to retire. 

lol so wait. How does one become an expert on retirement and where do I start studying? I know there's a ton of retirement areas in the South Florida area and one big community not far from Orlando. Honestly, I don't want to retire here either. Maybe Treasure Island. That's it though.

Lol I think we both have continuing thoughts on the subjects, we just might have to watch how deep we tread into them though and maybe move it to a different thread since the only relevance they'd have is the name "Orlando" :lol:

lol so wait. How does one become an expert on retirement and where do I start studying? I know there's a ton of retirement areas in the South Florida area and one big community not far from Orlando. Honestly, I don't want to retire here either. Maybe Treasure Island. That's it though.

Lol I think we both have continuing thoughts on the subjects, we just might have to watch how deep we tread into them though and maybe move it to a different thread since the only relevance they'd have is the name "Orlando" :lol:

A just question, my liege. John Howells, supposed retirement expert. I see the last book he put out, the one I was reading, didn't do well, at least so far. It's nice to have someone compact it for you but it wasn't as informative as I expected. You can look it up yourself but it is a pain, with schooling--I say that because I loaned the book since we will eventually be moving with a school aged child but the hubster retired about a year and a half ago, NJ taxes pensions  <_< --property taxes, crime, average this, that and other. You should retire now and do some kind of Central Florida Geek Tour thing. :P (I know you're thinking about it, eh? Yes? Yes!)

As for the other paragraph    t8MFBpW.gif

Fun subject dude, let's find a spot for it  :P

Future Boy likes this

After graduating, I plan to spend a year in Florida then start grad school. I'm considering Lake Mary, Sanford, and Orlando. Hopefully I can get that internship with Morgan Stanley.

Anybody have any info on Mt. Dora?  As a place to live?  @HPTR @debi @chuck plagman?  Somebody mentioned it to me and I began looking it up.  I would want to know the usual stuff (is it at all interesting? crime? charm? job opportunities?) plus I would want to know commute time to Universal:lol:  Any info at all appreciated!  Help me guys.  It's 1 actual degree here.  The heat in my house can't even keep up.  The weather is definitely changing.  

Mt Dora is historic, it has tons of antique shops and old homes. It can be over run with 'tique hunters on the weekends, they run bus trips to get them there. IMO it was heaven 20 years ago but now it is pretty touristy 

Kathkat, Chuck Plagmann and debi like this

5 minutes ago, HPTR said:

now it is pretty touristy

Thanks for the info.  Touristy would drive me nuts if I was a resident.  I'm trying to find something affordable, sorta centrally located as I think that would provide more protection from the hurricanes.  Is this flawed thinking?  

HPTR likes this

No place in Florida is safer from hurricanes but they are so rare it really should not affect your decision. If you live on the coast you might get hit but in 2004 we had one that swept all the way across the state and when it got to the gulf side strengthened again and got me a little with the backlash. Charlie came ashore south of me from the gulf and went up to the center of the state where it did a lot of damage. Hit Arcadia hard and on to Orlando. 

They are to be respected but unless you get a direct hit the damage is pretty localized. We have 20 million living here now so lots of people find the risk acceptable, My family lived in Oklahoma right in tornado alley for many years, I grew up in Illinois and that had it's share of tornados. If I had my choice of a hurricane or tornado hitting me I will take a hurricane every time, you can see them coming and they are somewhat predictable so you can prepare, the tornado is not called the finger of God for no reason, it can drop down and wipe out one block without touching the next in an instant.

The tourist thing might work to your advantage, couldn't you picture running a shop and taking all those dollars then going to O-town and spending them?

Edited by HPTR

10 minutes ago, HPTR said:

The tourist thing might work to your advantage, couldn't you picture running a shop and taking all those dollars then going to O-town and spending them?

Hadn't thought of that angle!  Yes, I would be running right to Uni!  I was just looking at a video of Tavares.  Hmmmm.   Looks like lots of things to do, which would hopefully draw my kids and sisters/brothers to visit:)

Just now, Kathkat said:

Hadn't thought of that angle!  Yes, I would be running right to Uni!  I was just looking at a video of Tavares.  Hmmmm.   Looks like lots of things to do, which would hopefully draw my kids and sisters/brothers to visit:)

Now you are on the right track, there is always the panhandle which does seem to catch some storms but has breathtaking scenery. No too tough on the pocketbook either but it is a full day's drive from the parks

Kathkat and debi like this

Is there much difference in the summer weather up north compared to the central area? 

40 minutes ago, HPTR said:

full day's drive from the parks

:(  I just looked up the driving distance from my house to Orlando.  15 hours, 35 minutes, but that has got to be with no stops or traffic.  I've driven 6.5 hours without a stop, willing myself and making sure I didn't wake the sleeping kiddos. But 16?  No way.

4 minutes ago, Bern said:

Is there much difference in the summer weather up north compared to the central area? 

I'm actually trying not to contemplate June - September:P  Well look at me, here and now.  I ain't goin anywhere outdoors in this!  

Chuck Plagmann likes this

27 minutes ago, Kathkat said:

I'm actually trying not to contemplate June - September:P  Well look at me, here and now.  I ain't goin anywhere outdoors in this!  

A role reversal, my husband says pretty much the same thing. 

2 hours ago, Kathkat said:

more like June - October.

Kathkat and HPTR like this