• Announcements

• Taylor Strickland

(IMPORTANT) What's next for our community   03/24/2016

Today we're excited to announce the start of our new Facebook group: Universal Community by Orlando Informer. We're also announcing we're closing our forums. This is probably the hardest decision I've made so far with Orlando Informer. This week marks the 2nd anniversary of our forums. Monday will mark 2 years from when I first applied to work with Orlando Informer. I was entering a pool of over 50 applicants, didn't meet the requirements, and didn't think the odds were very high that I'd get the position of Forum Moderator. It never even crossed my mind that not only would I get the position, but that position and these forums would be the start of being able to do what I love as a fulltime job. At its core, our forums have always had two goals: A ) Help families receive specific answers to specific questions, feedback from folks who have been in their shoes, and help them maximize their investment into their vacation. B ) Build a community of people who love to visit Universal, with a foundation of respect and tolerance. I can speak for our entire team on our forums (both past and present), especially our Community Manager @Chuck Plagmann, when I say that we have devoted hours of time every day of the year working towards these two goals. We feel that we've made major strides towards both of our goals, but see the opportunity to help a significantly greater amount of people plan their vacation and add on to our established (and amazing) community. Unfortunately, as time goes on, forums like ours have a tendency to slow down and be replaced by social media. It's the cycle of life for forums. We believe that this Facebook group is the logical next step for our community. Our forums and the content within will remain browseable for the foreseeable future, however you will not be able to submit new content. Our Facebook group, Universal Community by Orlando Informer, will be curated by our same team that ran the OI Forums. @Chuck Plagmann and I will be on the group daily to provide insight and help families plan their vacation. @debi will be monitoring for any Special Needs questions. Our (very talented) authors, like @Marc N. Kleinhenz, will be on the group to talk about their latest articles and your feedback. Finally, @Park Beast will even be dropping by from time to time to talk about our weekly podcast. You can access our Facebook group by searching "Universal Community by Orlando Informer" or visiting UOR.community from any webbrowser. We know this is a substantial change from our forums, but are hopeful you'll be willing to give it a shot. Additionally, we're launching a Facebook group for Universal Hollywood: "Universal Community by California Informer" or visit USH.community. This is the end of the forums, but it is just the beginning of our community. One thing we consistently hear from members of our forums is how different our community is from some of the others found online. We are committed to maintaining this reputation in our Facebook group. I have met a countless number of people, many I call friends, from our OI Forums. I know real bonds (and even relationships) have resulted from the time spent on these forums. I'm looking forward to seeing these bonds develop and new ones form on our new outlet. Please know that this decision was not made lightly or without considering the amount of time many of you have spent on here. I fully believe this is the next step forward to growing our community and helping as many people as possible have the best trip to Universal. I'm looking forward to interacting with everyone for many years to come. As always, please don't hesitate to reach out with feedback -- taylor [at] orlandoinformer.com See you on the Facebook Group, Taylor P.S., Unlimited likes on Facebook, you can thank me in advance.
USH_Today

Universal Studios Hollywood

93 posts in this topic

I don't think there is a dedicated thread to Universal Studios Hollywood alone. But let's talk about Universal Studios Hollywood! Well, Minion Mayhem opened at the park along with Super Silly Fun Land. Any thoughts on the area? In my opinion, I think Super Silly Fun Land should be Hollywood exclusive.

We published this recently, so I thought I'd mention it here in our new USH topic :)

We switch coasts to bring you a trip report from Universal Studios Hollywood, including a look at the new Despicable Me ride, Super Silly Fun Land, construction at the Wizarding World, and so much more: http://bit.ly/oibp0529142

JvPK5Wxl.jpg

We published this recently, so I thought I'd mention it here in our new USH topic :)

We switch coasts to bring you a trip report from Universal Studios Hollywood, including a look at the new Despicable Me ride, Super Silly Fun Land, construction at the Wizarding World, and so much more: http://bit.ly/oibp0529142

JvPK5Wxl.jpg

I like the photo update!

ReliveTheMagic likes this

It was a great day, I really enjoyed it.

I think you'll love Universal Studios Hollywood even more when 2016 arrives and the park is at it's full potential. With 3 new additions coming next year, it sure is a year you don't want to miss

Chuck Plagmann likes this

I don't think there is a dedicated thread to Universal Studios Hollywood alone. But let's talk about Universal Studios Hollywood! Well, Minion Mayhem opened at the park along with Super Silly Fun Land. Any thoughts on the area? In my opinion, I think Super Silly Fun Land should be Hollywood exclusive.

WHAT?!?! I started one, posted a bunch of pictures of super silly fun land on it too. It's on the forums around here somewhere. I visited USH last month.

My thoughts on USH are that it was really good, but kind of small. I worry how they are going to handle the crowds once the Harry Potter expansion opens. I actually spoke with a team member while I was there who expressed similar concerns stating that on a really busy day they get 35,000 people in their park and it is nearly impossible to maintain crowd control. They are expecting to at least double that with Harry Potter, and have no idea what to do with the people yet. USH has almost no indoor seating for any of their eating establishments and all of them are crowded  into a relatively short strip of space which means that people will be body to body looking for places to sit and cool down, and it gets really HOT in the summer. With the exception of having to take a mile of escalators to get from level to level, the walk from one attraction to the other is very short. If you were standing on top of a building when you first enter the park you could easily see Super Silly Fun Land, Despicable Me, the Simpson's, Shrek, and the Harry Potter Expansion within probably a hundred yards of each other. It's probably further, but in comparison to Islands of Adventure and USF it felt like they were on top of each other. Transformers and the Mummy literally are right next door. I will be interested in seeing Harry Potter once it opens, but I still think I will end up preferring USF and IoA.

USH_Today likes this

My thoughts on USH are that it was really good, but kind of small. I worry how they are going to handle the crowds once the Harry Potter expansion opens. I actually spoke with a team member while I was there who expressed similar concerns stating that on a really busy day they get 35,000 people in their park and it is nearly impossible to maintain crowd control. They are expecting to at least double that with Harry Potter, and have no idea what to do with the people yet. USH has almost no indoor seating for any of their eating establishments and all of them are crowded  into a relatively short strip of space which means that people will be body to body looking for places to sit and cool down, and it gets really HOT in the summer. With the exception of having to take a mile of escalators to get from level to level, the walk from one attraction to the other is very short. If you were standing on top of a building when you first enter the park you could easily see Super Silly Fun Land, Despicable Me, the Simpson's, Shrek, and the Harry Potter Expansion within probably a hundred yards of each other. It's probably further, but in comparison to Islands of Adventure and USF it felt like they were on top of each other. Transformers and the Mummy literally are right next door. I will be interested in seeing Harry Potter once it opens, but I still think I will end up preferring USF and IoA.

The crowds will be a concern.  Currently, the construction walls create pinch points like between Mel's Diner and Simpsons.  A lot of square footage will be available when WWoHP opens, so maybe the crowd pressure won't be that dire.  The team members I spoke with always suggest going directly to the lower lot in the morning to avoid crowds. 

I had not considered the food crunch you mentioned.  A valid point.  Maybe a trip out to Citiwalk for a bite to eat and a sit down.

USH_Today and evenstar101 like this

I'm heading out to California this fall and I haven't been to USH since I was a kid, so I might swing by for a day to see how it compares to UO. Does anybody know if there is any kind of a discount for UO passholders at USH

I'm heading out to California this fall and I haven't been to USH since I was a kid, so I might swing by for a day to see how it compares to UO. Does anybody know if there is any kind of a discount for UO passholders at USH

Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Orlando Resort does not offer discounts to either parks with any park annual pass. You would need to pay full price for admission or find a package. 

The crowds will be a concern.  Currently, the construction walls create pinch points like between Mel's Diner and Simpsons.  A lot of square footage will be available when WWoHP opens, so maybe the crowd pressure won't be that dire.  The team members I spoke with always suggest going directly to the lower lot in the morning to avoid crowds. 

I had not considered the food crunch you mentioned.  A valid point.  Maybe a trip out to Citiwalk for a bite to eat and a sit down.

Ah yes. The park currently is heavily trying to fix its infrastructure to alleviate crowds. That's why Universal spent money on building Universal Plaza, which is an open air space with jumping fountains you can play in. Another thing is between Special Effects Stage and Flintstones BBQ, they created these boxes to hold canopies for Animal Actors and the queue for SES. 

There definitely is not. I asked at about a million places if my annual pass would help in USH and all it did was annoy my friend because people kept saying no. I am always looking for a bargain so of course I asked! They do give AAA discounts just like in Florida.

Kkuurrttmm likes this

There definitely is not. I asked at about a million places if my annual pass would help in USH and all it did was annoy my friend because people kept saying no. I am always looking for a bargain so of course I asked! They do give AAA discounts just like in Florida.

I do have AAA so that's better than nothing! Thanks!

USH_Today likes this

I do have AAA so that's better than nothing! Thanks!

Also, both USH and UOR offer the American Express discount, as it is their official sponsor in the parks. Both parks have the exclusive lounge for AMEX holders.

Well, not many know that the WaterWorld recieved a new update. The show is somewhat different, but I like it.

WaterWorld just so you know is operate by a third party, Action Horizons, who operates all the WaterWorld shows in Japan/Osaka and Singapore. It was previously owned by Water Ski Stunts Inc.

I heard the mummy is not as good as ours is that true?

It's pretty bad, but we have a unique feature than the other Mummy coasters. We have a backwards portion, a seperate track that takes the car backwards.

It's pretty bad, but we have a unique feature than the other Mummy coasters. We have a backwards portion, a seperate track that takes the car backwards.

The pre and post themeing while in the car on the track is less at USH.  But the backwards portion is MUCH longer than at USF or USS.  While going backwards at USH, I had time to ask myself "how long do we go backwards!". 

ReliveTheMagic likes this

The pre and post themeing while in the car on the track is less at USH.  But the backwards portion is MUCH longer than at USF or USS.  While going backwards at USH, I had time to ask myself "how long do we go backwards!". 

LOL.

USH is turning into a totally different park. The layout of USH is changing signifigantly, more than UOR has. I'm excited for what is in store soon!

What do you look most forward for USH in the future, beside Potter. :P

What do you look most forward for USH in the future, beside Potter. :P

You mean there's stuff other than Potter? :o

USH_Today likes this

The last time I was at USH was years ago. The lady and I have been talking about taking a trip back out there since she's never been and I talk about how nice California is constantly. With what I can remember, I would love to be able to re-compare the 2 parks, once USH gets Potter done, or even sooner.