• Announcements

• Taylor Strickland

(IMPORTANT) What's next for our community   03/24/2016

Today we're excited to announce the start of our new Facebook group: Universal Community by Orlando Informer. We're also announcing we're closing our forums. This is probably the hardest decision I've made so far with Orlando Informer. This week marks the 2nd anniversary of our forums. Monday will mark 2 years from when I first applied to work with Orlando Informer. I was entering a pool of over 50 applicants, didn't meet the requirements, and didn't think the odds were very high that I'd get the position of Forum Moderator. It never even crossed my mind that not only would I get the position, but that position and these forums would be the start of being able to do what I love as a fulltime job. At its core, our forums have always had two goals: A ) Help families receive specific answers to specific questions, feedback from folks who have been in their shoes, and help them maximize their investment into their vacation. B ) Build a community of people who love to visit Universal, with a foundation of respect and tolerance. I can speak for our entire team on our forums (both past and present), especially our Community Manager @Chuck Plagmann, when I say that we have devoted hours of time every day of the year working towards these two goals. We feel that we've made major strides towards both of our goals, but see the opportunity to help a significantly greater amount of people plan their vacation and add on to our established (and amazing) community. Unfortunately, as time goes on, forums like ours have a tendency to slow down and be replaced by social media. It's the cycle of life for forums. We believe that this Facebook group is the logical next step for our community. Our forums and the content within will remain browseable for the foreseeable future, however you will not be able to submit new content. Our Facebook group, Universal Community by Orlando Informer, will be curated by our same team that ran the OI Forums. @Chuck Plagmann and I will be on the group daily to provide insight and help families plan their vacation. @debi will be monitoring for any Special Needs questions. Our (very talented) authors, like @Marc N. Kleinhenz, will be on the group to talk about their latest articles and your feedback. Finally, @Park Beast will even be dropping by from time to time to talk about our weekly podcast. You can access our Facebook group by searching "Universal Community by Orlando Informer" or visiting UOR.community from any webbrowser. We know this is a substantial change from our forums, but are hopeful you'll be willing to give it a shot. Additionally, we're launching a Facebook group for Universal Hollywood: "Universal Community by California Informer" or visit USH.community. This is the end of the forums, but it is just the beginning of our community. One thing we consistently hear from members of our forums is how different our community is from some of the others found online. We are committed to maintaining this reputation in our Facebook group. I have met a countless number of people, many I call friends, from our OI Forums. I know real bonds (and even relationships) have resulted from the time spent on these forums. I'm looking forward to seeing these bonds develop and new ones form on our new outlet. Please know that this decision was not made lightly or without considering the amount of time many of you have spent on here. I fully believe this is the next step forward to growing our community and helping as many people as possible have the best trip to Universal. I'm looking forward to interacting with everyone for many years to come. As always, please don't hesitate to reach out with feedback -- taylor [at] orlandoinformer.com See you on the Facebook Group, Taylor P.S., Unlimited likes on Facebook, you can thank me in advance.
duckworth1974

Royal Pacific Resort - Questions

336 posts in this topic

It is about a 10 - 15 minute walk, I don't do August outside in Florida so for me I will wait for the boat. I have not been in the park all summer due to the heat but I do have the choice to go outside of our summer months. September will be plenty hot as well. I don't know if the pedicabs run on the RPR side, I do know they run on the Portofino side.

Off topic, I know  :ph34r: , but this is why I am leery of moving to Florida.  I know, in the north we just do things opposite.  Anyway, thanks again for the RPR info (there, I brought it back to topic!)

HPTR likes this

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to walk to the parks from RPR?  Also, do you recommend it in August heat?

I do the following, I walk round towards the water taxi point, have a look see if one is coming in and how busy it is.

If there is no taxi coming in and you can't hear one, we would then just walk. As it can take longer to wait than the walk would.

After all the rubbish food I eat when on holiday, it's good to get as much exercise as possible! :lol:

Kathkat, Lainie, Erika and 3 others like this

I do the following, I walk round towards the water taxi point, have a look see if one is coming in and how busy it is.

If there is no taxi coming in and you can't hear one, we would then just walk. As it can take longer to wait than the walk would.

After all the rubbish food I eat when on holiday, it's good to get as much exercise as possible! :lol:

Thanks Matt!  We've stayed at the Hark Rock a few times, and we've never taken the water taxi.  But from what I understand, HRH is closest to the parks.  So true about all the rubbish food - I gotta go get one of those fitbits everyone is using. Then all I need is to move to Universal so I can be motivated to walk tons everyday!  

HPTR likes this

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to walk to the parks from RPR?  Also, do you recommend it in August heat?

Short walk to the park - about 10 minutes or so. 

August heat in FL is very, very hot with temperatures generally in the low 90's. The walk has some shade and an occasional breeze. It's a pretty easy walk.

Kathkat likes this

Short walk to the park - about 10 minutes or so. 

August heat in FL is very, very hot with temperatures generally in the low 90's. The walk has some shade and an occasional breeze. It's a pretty easy walk.

Thanks for that info :) Good to know there is some shade.  the walk from Hard Rock has a lot of shade, as I recall

Sig04 likes this

Can someone explain how the parking fee works? Are you charged when you enter or exit the car park? The reason I ask is that we are hiring a car from the Hertz desk in the hotel for a few days of our trip and on the last day we were looking to drop it off in the evening before we check out. However when booking, the site said that the desk closes at 5pm so we had to select the next morning as the drop off time. This means we will have the car in the car park again overnight. But as we won't be swiping out the next morning, will we still be charged the $20 for that night?

Thanks.

I'm not 100% certain how your situation would work out so I'd suggest contacting the hotel. We always have a car during our entire stay and the charge is per night, same as room charges.

jackpresley likes this

Do they still have the fully stocked fridges? I heard they changed that with the renovations.

Also, when we stayed at Portofino Bay they tacked on an 18% gratuity on the bill at the pool bar. Do they do that at RPR? We always tip, but I thought it was weird how they added it in themselves. My boyfriend even tipped extra every time because he felt awkward just giving them the bill amount.

Do they still have the fully stocked fridges? I heard they changed that with the renovations.

Also, when we stayed at Portofino Bay they tacked on an 18% gratuity on the bill at the pool bar. Do they do that at RPR? We always tip, but I thought it was weird how they added it in themselves. My boyfriend even tipped extra every time because he felt awkward just giving them the bill amount.

The new refurb rooms have an empty fridge, apart from the fridge door has some Fiji water. The rest is free for use :)

Yes, they add 18% gratuity at the pool bar. The on-site restaurants/bars such as Jakes and Tchoup Chop, do not add the gratuity.

HPTR, Chuck Plagmann and Brittani like this

We always stay here, may be the last.  We come here for the parks and HHN so we sleep in somewhat.  Every morning we have been woke to banging and pounding due to the refurb.  One would think that they would keep a room or two barrier between guests and the work going on to minimize the noise.

Any RPR promo codes on travel sites that someone may have stumbled upon?? 

Thanks in advance!